Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
This is not so much a question, as an observation, or maybe it is a question.

I mentioned in another thread that my mother in law who was diagnosed with ALS in August had recently had a hair test done. She has had two other hair analysis tests done back in the 90's--i'm not sure why. i think she may have had some early symptoms perhaps that were just ignored.

All of her hair analysis tests came back with high calcium levels. She doesn't eat any dairy, but she says she has always had these high levels of calcium.

i have read that most ALS patients have high calcium levels.

I know most people don't have the benefit of previous tests before they are sick or diagnosed with ALS, but i wonder if these same ALS patients had high calcium levels BEFORE they were diagnosed or first exhibited symptoms?

Is there any way or place to submit these kinds of questions/thougths for research? Does anyone know if there have been any such studies?

I'm sorry I can not help you with the places for study. I do know that I have blood tests run every 6 months to monitor liver levels and CK and I have never tested high for Calcium. I have been Dx since May 11, 2006, but have had symptoms for several years before that. I hope this helps.

God Bless
Capt AL

The simplest place I can think of to post that question and get a response would be the ALSTDF forum. Just a guess.

http://www.als.net/forum/

Texgrl-please Read About Calcium And Als

Sorry, Somehow this was duplicated!

thanks for everyone's replies.

Al, i'm not sure if the calcium shows up high in blood, i would guess it would. strange you haven't had that.

i did wonder if high calcium levels would be a pre-cursor to the disease. i guess there are really more question marks than answers in ALS.

i've seen that link before of Diane's....it states that the high calcium levels are a RESULT of the immobility but strangely enough with my mother in law, they were always high as far back as 10-15 years ago, and she was always active until March of this year.

I just had a blood test run yesterday and will be interested in the calcium levels. Maybe I have been looking at the wrong thing on the report. That was a good link. Thanks

God Bless
Capt AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back