Reason
Other
Country
US
State
ca
City
San Francisco
Hi guys...in addition to my widespread muscle fascilations (non stop everywhere everyday for 3 months now), extreme joint cracking, and body pains.....I also get vibrating and buzzing my left foot.

Someone on another board said that vibrating/buzzing could be related to ALS? Is this true? Also my right pointer finger has been going numb...

Note I have had all blood work you can think of, no deficiencies etc.

Numbness and pains are all sensory. ALS does not attack the sensory neurons. The only pain one with ALS may get is caused by cramping. I experience widespread pains and twitches aswell.. and no, i do not have ALS. There is something else going on, and im pretty darn sure that its some sort of somatoform disorder

Widespread twitching is not a typical sign of ALS.. ALS twitches (if you notice them at all ) are more localized in the beginning ( in your foot for example ) . People with BFS have so called 'hot spots' aswell where twitches stay in one area for a period of time ( hours, days, weeks or even months )

Vibrating and buzzing twitches are also very common in BFS.
Pins and needles and numbness are again sensory and leads the diagnosis FAR away from ALS. Anxiety is cause number 1, then there is peripheral neuropathy, lyme, fibromyalgia. MS is at the very bottom.. but since some people ( me included ) tend to fear the worst; here is a very good article. I suggest you to read it

http://www.neurology.wisc.edu/publications/07_pubs/Neuro_2.pdf

Can you check the link? It doesn't work for me.

AL.

Well that is odd... I have been diagnosed with bulbar onset ALS back in March april of this year. I have twitching ALL over by body, and I have had pain, and cramp, and buzzing...seems to go from the tip of my toes and up to the top of my head...feels like I have been plugged in to a low voltage machine which is JUST sending a tiny shock thru..but constant. This disease does seem to have a lot of variables...

Seems like a very rare case of how ALS can strike someone. Widespread twitching, pains etc usually do not lead to a ALS diagnosis. Are you sure they are related? you could have something else going on before your DX that was not related.

I personally do not believe "one size fits all" in any disease. When I had Cardiomyopathy I had chest pain and that was the only reason that I went to the cardiologist. Everything I read then said there is no pain associated with Cardiomyopathy. I just think everyone is different so maybe it is part of her ALS and just not someone else's?

I had the buzzing, too, but that part disappeared for me.

I personally do not believe "one size fits all" in any disease. When I had Cardiomyopathy I had chest pain and that was the only reason that I went to the cardiologist. Everything I read then said there is no pain associated with Cardiomyopathy. I just think everyone is different so maybe it is part of her ALS and just not someone else's?

I had the buzzing, too, but that part disappeared for me.

Every case is unique.. they say

Thanks for your comments all, my neuro said typically this does not involve shooting pains either but you never know I guess

Hi
Can I add one more response to this thread? I have vibrating in my shoulder girdle. It is a very light buzzing feeling I have had it since before the Dr mentioned that I might have als. My calves are still atrophing and I have random twitching. I have had two emgs all over my body and I do not have als. I had all the classic symptoms that als can have. But I do not have als. I thought I had it and after reading this website I pretty much counted myself diagnosed. But there are so many things out there can cause simular problems. Come to find out I have what is called a double crush. Basically two vertibrae are crushed and so is my spinal cord in one place. Dont ask me how that happened. Well, maybe it was when I did not cinch my horse saddle enough and I was riding hard in the back country and I slid right off of the side of her. I fell off and knocked myself off. LOL Glad to be alive. Oh, the horse just stood there with the saddle dangling off the side of her side staring at me....it was a site. You should have seen me trying to get back on...what a joke.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I had a clean EMG about 1.5 months ago, which was a month after the twitching started. I have seen several neuros over my symptoms and "pass" all nuero exams. I still cannot help but worry about ALS. My dr did say that typically shooting pains that I have been having in my body (or other sensory things) are usually not associated. I just worry as not only do I have these items as mentioned but extreme joint cracking which started 1 wk after my pains. All my issues are widespread aside from the vibrating.

I do have a slight spinal cord compression but drs do not think that is the cause of my issues as it would not be so widespread.

I have not noticed weakness, I still go to the gym and lift the same weights.

I guess I worry that maybe I got the EMG too early?

I have heard that those that have cord issues can have MS, or ALS symptoms and atrophy, however, my cord compression is not that bad and all of my symptoms are widespread. I have no deficiencies in terms of vitamins and all my blood work (including something testing my muscles) have been fine.

I had all the same symptoms. The biggie for me after months of neuro appts which stumped them was the classic NO WEAKNESS. So, I had my first emg. I at that point even had respitory problems. I had shortness of breath and fast heart, muscle atrophy in the classic spot the hand, very slight weakness in the hand muscle. My first emg showed denervation in the hand and the left forearm there is where the concern began. From that point on it was sheer hell. I had one more year of testing and fear for my life.
Finally I was referred to another neuro. After he hear my symptoms which had progressed by this time, he said it sounds like you have Lou gerighs disease. I went home in tears. But my neuro exams always went well, as did my lumbar puncture and so did my emgs..although they hurt like hell, regardless of what anyone says. I still had clean labs exams and emgs...meaning I dont have it. I never did lose muscle which is really the first symptom once you start to lose muscle. I pray you sleep alittle better tonight..I think you can rest easy....I am fine now. The gym really helps.

Thanks again. I literally have been in tears. I am 33 yrs old and just dont know why I am having shooting body pains, extreme joint cracking, vibrations and non stop twitching.

I dont know if I should get another EMG or not. My first EMG was almost 2 months ago and I feel the twitching is worse now then it was then. My twitches are ALL OVER.

I still work out so I hope thats a good sign?

I am going to reiterate what I said to you and what many others said to you in one of your initial threads.

You have had two neuro's evaluate you and tell you that you don't ALS. They gave you all of the necessary tests (including an EMG) and clinical evaluation to make that conclusion. On top of that, your symptoms aren't even close to being ALS. No one here disputes you have something happening to you but it isn't ALS. Let your docs do their job and let them diagnose you.

Please RELAX.

I am going to reiterate what I said to you and what many others said to you in one of your initial threads.

You have had two neuro's evaluate you and tell you that you don't ALS. They gave you all of the necessary tests (including an EMG) and clinical evaluation to make that conclusion. On top of that, your symptoms aren't even close to being ALS. No one here disputes you have something happening to you but it isn't ALS. Let your docs do their job and let them diagnose you.

Please RELAX.

:smile: Wright, i really understand what he is going through, as i have experienced it aswell and still do the same when my symptoms get worse for one day and the anxiety hits on me again. It's really hard to believe after a clean MRI and a clinical exam that you passed that you are perfectly healthy, because of all these weird sensations. In most of the cases.. no disease ( MS/ lyme ) ever shows up which means it is caused by stress / somatoform disorder..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back