Diagnosis
08/2019
Country
AU
State
NS
City
Wollongong
Keep safe, anyone in a bushfire zone atm, especially you, Tillie. I hope your friends’ houses were spared!
S xx

thank you so much - yesterday was horrible and I guess today will reveal more as the weather has cooled significantly.
I'm waiting to hear from friends who possibly lost their homes.
The destruction of forest has me feeling very overwhelmed - around one million hectares gone. Significant, prime habitat, much of which will never recover.
My property is safe and I'm so grateful as a fire started only 500 m away from my boundary but was thankfully put out very fast.
The danger is not over, it is just less today. We are not expecting rain until February.
Unprecedented is the word the fire authorities are using.
I spoke with some indigenous people yesterday, lamenting that their ancestors looked after this land for tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of years and how amazing it was here. And how in just a blink, 250 years, my ancestors have totally decimated it. I can't imagine how our original custodians of this land must be feeling as they watch the results of what we have done.
We won't escape without paying the price.

smokesun.jpg

Tillie, is there anyway, or possible, your land can take in some of the survivors and hurt ones.
Would they mix with your current residents? I know this is not the place for contributions but
is your group open to that?

Thanks Al - so far we have had one mum and joey survive and we successfully released them. They were from the huge fire about 4 weeks ago (parts are still burning) that wiped out around 700 koalas and 50,000 hectares of koala habitat, and an entire town.
We do have a couple more in care now that we hope will pull through.
I work voluntarily with the local koala rescue and rehab group, so we are doing all we can. It's complex indeed 💙

Katrina,
My heart is broken. I'm so sad. I'm ashamed to be a citizen of a country in which so many deny climate change and that we are the ones who caused it.

Kim I feel the same - it was us white fellas that came here and wrought this destruction. Ashamed is exactly how I feel.
We have nearly 40 koalas in care today. 19 of them are in wildlife hospitals up through QLD because everyone is stretched beyond limits.
I will have a couple of photos for stories of hope a bit later this evening, thankfully have seen a few of the koalas now.

Tillie, for what,it's worth. A company has built a huge carbon scrubber... it pulls air through it and
captures carbon. The team behind this invention are fighting to get government to even listen or
take them seriously.

The captured carbon can be sold.... There already exists a well-established, billion-dollar market for
carbon dioxide, which is used to rejuvenate oil wells, make carbonated beverages, and stimulate
plant growth in commercial greenhouses. There will always be a need for oil well in to the future.

If every industrialized country would start building these relatively inexpensive big scrubbers
good results to the climate could be seen within years instead of decades.. Put up as many of
these as we have wind generators.... it would create more jobs too.

But.... in this country we have the best politicians money can buy.

Trees and oceans, absolutely! We have to take care of those for sure.
But it’s also good to explore other things that might help... carbon scrubbers, ocean cleanup, desalination plants, alternative energy sources, less meat consumption, etc., etc.

Hi Al,
I decided to reply here, thank you for asking and caring. I just don't feel a lot of hope when discussing the fires.
On the areas that have been scorched.... have they estimated how long before at least
re-growth will begin? If it will at all?

Please don't read this unless you feel you can cope with the answers, they are not pretty.

That's a really hard question to answer. I need to say scorched is not correct, these have been huge fires that have, in many cases literally burned to the ground. I've not seen anything quite like it, whole forests just gone. The fire closest to me (500m across the road) was quickly put out and those trees are only scorched, in the way we often expect to see, but the devastation of the wild fires is something else.

There have been well over 1 million hectares burned out now just in NSW and fires are raging in a huge ring around the entire country. So the story of regrowth will vary in length, but rain is going to be the key and none predicted here in my area for months yet.

The rainforests that have burned will never recover, what is lost.
The eucalypt forests that have burned to the ground will take a long time, many decades.

The conditions are only going to worsen every year, the damage is now done and every forest that burns adds to the problem that is creating the change in our weather.

That video of course has gone around the world and is heart wrenching. If that koala survives he has a long recovery ahead, and treating wild animals like this is not an easy task. We, that live in the affected areas, are all heartbroken, and those of us working with wildlife are triply so.

I find it very hard to talk about. It becomes a little like someone asking about how are you doing with your ALS. You can tell someone else who has it, or is a CALS, and we get it and you don't need to explain in detail. But to explain it, really, to someone else is very hard. The pressure we feel as things just continue on and on week after week is a heavy weight.

On top of that, the drought has been going on so long (18 months), mature trees are dying, and many species. I drove to town a couple of days ago, 17km drive and saw hundreds of dead trees. Everything is brown, dead or dying, stripped, and a red sun shines through smoke. It feels surreal.
This is a subtropical area - we should be stifling in hot temperatures saturated with humidity that builds up into storms at night. Things should be so lush and green I should be out mowing around the garden areas every 5 or 6 days. I haven't mowed since before winter, probably last time was around May or June. Instead we are just baking in a dry heat with winds that are fanning flames and sending burning sparks kilometres away to start new fires.

The other point in regard to climate change is that we don't have decades to fix it. The earth will be too far gone unless our leaders get together and work on a global solution.

Facebook has a fund you can donate to help Australia. But it's going to take much more than money. It's going to take this generation standing up to their leaders and saying enough is enough. We need to vote out the climate change deniers and anyone who doesn't believe this is one of the most important challenges going on in the world.

So right Kim, I just can't beat the feeling of 'the world as we knew it'.

Katrina, It's raining here. I'm praying that hard rains will hit OZ soon. It breaks my heart so much that we only have ourselves to blame for destroying the planet.

Tillie, are you safe?

Same question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back