Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Allentown
Conflicting info on fasciculations- Must read- help!

I just read this on a post from another website from a doctor in response to someone questioning him about twitching-

"The weakness may come six months to one year after the onset of fasciculations ! And an improvement is very rare in ALS. "

Is that first sentence true? I have lot of muscle twitching all over and burning sensations in my neck and down my arms.

I have been experiencing back of head headaches for the last 6 months. I do have spinal stenosis issues but my neurologist is not certain it could be causing all this. He didn't say its ALS either but Im going through a big health anxiety crisis and really really worried.

Re: Conflicting info on fasciculations- Must read- help!

In my personal experience, twitching was my last symptom. I have never had headaches or burning feeling either. If your neuro suspected a fatal disease - he 'd be telling you. Keep in mind twitching is most often benign.

The world wide web serves many purposes - but seeing your own physician is best. If you are especially anxious - stay off the internet for awhile - may calm you down.

I agree with OttawaG...weakness and atrophy generally come before fasiculations and call them that. twitching is pretty non-specific.

I did not have any twitching until I was 2 years into the disease. Weakness and atrophy came first. Not to mention the miserable muscle spasms, which were actually my first symptoms. Good luck!

Thank you all for answering. A few more questions if I may.
1. Is it possible to have this for almost 18 months and not know it at all?
2. I have been having stiff neck soreness and terrible trapezius muscle pain (which they think is causing all the headaches). It is in a knot that will not release and is fairly constant and burning down my arms and back. Is that what is meant by spasicity? Or does spaiscity (sorry for spelling!) comes and goes? Is that what your initial muscle spasms feel like?
3. Also please tell me about any fatigue you may have had - was it normal, extraordinary, etc.

Thank you!

What did your neuro tell you? What where you told is next step in the investigation of your symptoms?

Thanks Ottawa girl.

So I went today and and he told me no clinical signs to support ALS.

I have the twitching, some tongue atrophy, my palate hurts, my throat spasms - thinking bulbar.
He said he won't do an EMG just for my "peace of mind." However he said I could get a second opinion from his colleague next week.

I said, maybe its too early to diagnose? He looked at me condescendingly and said "I don't think so."

Here is where my mind plays tricks of me. He is well respected and I have always found him to be very very thorough and patient with me. However, this is my third visit to him (it started with headaches). I think he is tired of me and when I came in today with "I think its ALS" he was thinking cuckoo bird. So now I don't think he took me seriously and its plaguing me!

The best I can tell you, is maybe wait six months and see how things are with you. Work with your GP in the interim. And stay off the internet looking for answers. You're only going to make things worse for yourself and those around you. Personally, I think the neuro would have scheduled more tests if he observed the atrophy you describe. In my experience, doctors respond positively to well informed patients, but not so well to self diagnosers...they're only human!

Reassurance: DId you stop with neuro or demand EMG?

Hi everyone, I am just wondering what level of reassurance you all feel you need to move on with your lives.

Im 45 (female) and have been experiencing weird symptoms since August. Feeling of adrenaline and racing heart stirring in my chest, back of head pressure and aches, "head rushes" where I feel like blood rushing to my head, neck spasms, burning stiff trapezius and neck, facial pains, palate pains, jaw pains, and terrible earaches when the pain comes on, sometimes dizzy and nauseu too. The "attacks" came in waves with palpitations. Neuro sure if they were migraines or seizures. My tongue is also slightly atrophied on one side and it has some pain. About two weeks agoi, I developed muscle twitching (more like muscle jumps and pops) and light toe and finger cramping and a burning sensation down my neck, shoulders, arms and back. Sometimes in my entire head. Like painful sore muscles the next day. No weakness. I also have tingly feelings and pulling sensations in the arches of my feet and balls of feet.

Well, after 6 months of mri's, bloodwork, lumbar punctures, CT scans etc, I google my newest symptoms, and I stumble upon ALS. Thats all I need is another disease to worry about after excluding almost everything else. Ive worried about 5 terminal diseases in the past 6 months. Very very anxious and hellish time.

So I go BACK to my neuro who has been following me for the past 6 months and ask him what about ALS and he says you have had head issues for 6 months thats not ALS, your symptoms keep changing. And I suggest, well what about the stiff neck maybe that is the spascitiy and cramping of ALS and maybe the migraines/headaches and ear/jaw/tongue pain were part of the all over ALS nervous systems dysfunction and bulbar ALS. He stops dead in his tracks and looks at me like Im crazy (I know it sounds crazy) and said "its not ALS." And I said "maybe too early to diagnose?" and he looked at me condescendingly and said, "I don't think so." He would not order an EMG that I requested for my "peace of mind." He said I could talk to one of his colleagues for a second opinion if I wanted.

So what to do? My family thinks I am crazy. They said I should have been doing cartwheels in his office for the reassurance that its not ALS. I feel like he short shrifted me this time (he barely examined me) because its the 4th time I've been to see him but I JUST developed the muscle twitching and cramping. Im sure he thinks Im "one of those" patients now.

I have to say, he is pompous, but he has an excellent reputation and spent over 2.5 hours with me right before Christmas when I really wasn't feeling good. He is uber thorough and has been practicing for over 20 years. Is his reassurance enough? I would not have even thought of ALS but I never had widespread muscle twitching and cramps. As one of the PALS said, I just may have to wait to see how it progresses (not really what I want to hear. not good at the waiting and worrying game, it will consume me).

Could the whole headache thing have been a precursor? More logically it sounds like I just have too much adrenaline in my body from the stress and thats the problem, but theres no way to measure that ....

I also just went on a benzo (klonopin) (xanax) - can they give you muscle twitching and cramping.... i thought they control them?

Do I demand the EMG or should his word be enough for you? He said I see no clinical evidence of UMN of ALS.

Re: Reassurance: DId you stop with neuro or demand EMG?

You need to spend your time and money on a psychiatrist:

you have worried about 5 terminal illnesses in the last 6 months...your symptoms as described are NOT like ALS, yet you argue with the Neuro (who might have a bit more education and experience in this field then you ). You think you should demand a EMG with no signs or symptoms of ALS? you think you were short shrifted after 4 visits?

You are really looking to us for reassurance? you expect us to say "fight we are sure you have ALS"? Really?

I think you are very ill--and need a psychiatrist for health anxiety. I think you have a very bad case. I am sure you will disagree--and continue to post stupid non symptoms and how scared and worried you are. ridiculous. I applaud your Neuro for refusing to buy into your silliness.

Being that you have started a new thread.

In your post you wrote, "(not really what I want to hear. not good at the waiting and worrying game, it will consume me)." Well, you'll have to get better at it. The 1st neuro said, "NO." I'm sure the 2nd will see you for at least (no less) 6 more months, maybe longer and more tests (weeks - months apart) before he would utter the letters "A L S." But, I doubt you'd believe the 2nd one's "NO" either. So, add the same amount of time to the 3rd one. Be sure and take your Zanax.

I have merged two threads to avoid repetition.

Last edited:

Barbie,
Thank you I needed that I really did.

However, its not that I have no symptoms. I have fascics with cramping in my hands and feet. I have tongue pain. I have some tongue atrophy. This is concerning to me. And its not like "invented" the other illnesses. When you have a bad headache and a dr looks into your eyes and says your optic nerve margins are concerning and you need a MRI - thats concerning of brain tumor, etc. - for anyone, let alone a mom of 3 kids. Same with lumbar puncture b/c of my neck concerns about meningitis. 6 months of this. Hence the anxiety meds.

I guess I have been linking things together that may not go together but after going thru so many exclusions, somehow ALS just popped out at me, not until recently because of the recent developments of the twitching and the cramping. I don't know if its linked to my previous symptoms of the last six months or not. I agree in total, probably not the picture of ALS, or a very atypical presentation at the start. As you can see I am just trying for once and for all to close the door on anything out there.

Bingo! ("Mom of three kids.") That'll do it! Seriously, try an appointment with a psychologist. Bringing up three kids in this new pressure cooker society we live in today can be a health hazard. The kids do fine but... you don't. (Raising my kids many years ago I came to understand why lions sometimes eat their young.) :)

Would it be common for Als to present with nighttime Burning pain? I feel like my arms are being wrung out and have twitching all over. I also feel the cramps lighter in other areas but burning ad well.... Is it common for it to come on over the course if three weeks like a flu all over? I also have terrible neck and shoulder soreness that is over two months old. My arms are very shaky and feel like there is lactic acid in them. I feel this spreading to my hip area as well. Can burning be the muscle atrophy in progress?

I am in the process of getting a second opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back