Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
State
CA
City
Long Beach
Hello. My MIL has ALS and just recently started feeling a burning eye sensation. Is this a common symptom, and what are some remedies people have tried?

Dry eye and less ability to clear gunk can occur with less mobility. Some PALS even lose the ability to blink partially or completely. I would start with a mild-to-moderate Genteal drop, morning, noon, and night if helpful. A warm wrung-out washcloth in the morning to loosen secretions may help, and of course hydration is important as always.

Of course, I would look at the eyes to make sure there is not a stray eyelash or eyebrow hair on the lid or in the eye, or any sign of infection.

If she has ongoing allergies, her meds may need adjustment (it's been a rough pollen season) and a fish oil daily can enhance the tear layer overall, so that could be worth trying down the road if it is safe with her other conditions and meds.

If it persists, of course, I would consult an optometrist or ophthalmologist, even if via video to start.

Best,
Laurie

Yes, this is quite common and is called "acid tears." When you say "burning eyes" do you mean her tears sting? If that is the case, they may be acid tears. What this is, is when the muscles of the body breakdown, lactic acid tries to repair those muscles but since they cannot, that acid is said to seep from the eyes. To mitigate this, using warm wash cloths pressed gently against the eyes is helpful. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back