Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Hello all, a while back I promised to detail my mouth and throat clearing procedure that has allowed me to avoid a trache that would otherwise be required to avoid choking on goo. So here it is:

Supplies required (warning brand names listed, reader discretion advised)

Waterpik water flosser http://well.ca/products/waterpik-ultra-water-flosser_26373.html?gclid=CILEu_PfrKwCFUcaQgodKlVmGg
electric toothbrush
cough assist machine
suction machine with bulb end Yankauer suction wand
OraBrush tongue scraper http://www.orabrush.com/index_B.html.en?gclid=CMT7hbnfrKwCFQRYhwodV0_mGw
nebulizer machine
a sink that you can lean over
a helper if your arms are weak

water mixed with baking soda (1 tbsp per 2 litres) for flushing (cuts goo better than plain water)
Mucomyst (Acetylcysteine) RX required
Ventolin (Salbutamol) RX required

Procedure:

While leaning over sink so that water runs out into sink and not down throat, flush mouth and throat with waterpik water flosser (lowest pressure and using dental appliance tip).

Suction mouth and throat as deep as possible without gagging.

Brush teeth and mouth. Flush and suction again.

Use OraBrush as deep as possible on tongue to drag out thick gunk, flush and suction again.

Place 1ml of Mucomyst and 2.5 ml Ventolin in nebulizer cup and inhale till done (about 10 minutes). This loosens and liquifies thick throat gunk.

Using cough assist, inhale for a count of three followed by an exhale for a count of three. Repeat two times.

Flush and suction.

And that's it. I do this 4 times a day and it has kept me alive and trache free for a year now. I hope this helps and if anyone has any question just ask.

Barry :smile:

Last edited:
Thank you Barry for such concise advise.

Did you stop getting the botox injections?

Diane, I never did have Botox but had radiation treatment to my salvary glands in the fall of 2008 which helped. And I take Glycopyrrolate now as well.

Thanks so much Barry, Excellent directions :)
Susan
(fellow Bulbarian)

Thank You Barry, we already have some of this, will try the rest too!

Is this regime put together by you or did someone tell you how to do it.

great routine, barry! thanks for sharing

My RT prescribed the mucomyst/ventolin and cough assist but I added the Waterpik as a way of rinsing, the baking soda water and the tongue scraper.

Thanks Barry. i'm sure it'll give many ,food for thought, as they say.

AL.

Thank you so much Barry.
I have the water pic. Love it since I can no longer hold anything in my mouth. I have the tounge brush I will be talking to my doctor about the rest. Thank you again. I have learned so much on here
Felica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back