Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
uk
State
mid glamorgan
City
caerphilly
Any ideas for a 'bulbarian' dog caller please? something ear-friendly...
Dog is annoying him now because she goes out the garden and he can't whistle or call her, she is practically ignoring him... and that's not going down well! He bangs the doorframe to get her attention but that just scares her, she's already wary of him and the difference tones in his voice and disappears under the table when he's off on one, or even when he's trying to clear his throat because he makes some awful noises. I never imagined the dog would be affected...
anybody else had similar problems?
she's very loving, got an excitable nature, still a babbie at four years old, bit of a nutter, quite highly strung i spose, just wondered if, as he can't whistle or call her, there's other ways to keep everyone happy...

Last edited:
I believe there is an app for that on many phones.

Poppy,
I let you know after Friday... A firm is coming in to help us with our nutter dog since Rog can't speak...we need hand commands (and a WHOLE lot more) to keep her under control... Ours is a found pup... Skittish...

Jen

Great, thanks ladies.
We got an old girl as well, she is 15.
She doesn't bat an eyelid at anything, and is very staid, or a bit deaf!
Jen, I look forward to hearing how you got on.

So many currents in such a little puddle eh...

We had an appointment with speech/lang today...hubby not in good mood going, told me he whacking her with his walking stick if she comes near him! Not a total waste of time as she is getting him a communication keyboard thingy like a little laptop with a voice thing. He liked that, but wouldn't let her assess his swallow in any way at all. He smiled sweetly while she talked about the tube feed and how it could make life a little easier in some respects. Still says no way..
Been difficult all day today. Now, he's having a fight with a surround sound system he had to buy, I wired it up, followed instructions to the letter, couple of speakers failing to work today tho they did yesterday, now he wants take a scissors to it....oh joy :(

My husband is Bulbar, our older dashund kinda hides from him, I think she is scared of the scary sounds , and she knows he is different.

The dogs did/do not like when he is choking! They get antsy. He can call Suzy with the voice on his iPhone, but Bella comes for no one... I'm excited about Friday and the dog lady coming!

Jen

What about one of those clickers, like when we were kids. Or one of those little key chains with the little recorder on it for making a list for the store. I might have one around if you need it then you can whistle in it and he can just press play. Let me know if you need me to look for it and send it to you :) A friend used to train her dog with Marbles in a tin can, everytime the dog was bad they would shake the can, maybe if you shake the can and give her a treat a couple of times that might work.

how 'bout clicker training? assuming his arms will keep working for a while

A very light weight but long rope with a clip on one end that can be attached to the dog's collar when it's let outside with the other end held fast to the door frame. When it's time to come in open the door, give then dog time to come willingly and when not just jerk hard and real them in at a high rate of speed. It won't be long before you won't need to jerk and reel when the door is opened.

Hi everybody, thanks for all the input.
My brain's a bit frazzled on times these days and can't think of even the simplest solutions ...
We are going to go with the clicker to start with...wish us and Maddie luck!
Poor dog will need respite herself....although someone is beaming today at the arrival of his new riser/recliner,
hope it lasts ALL day, after the fiasco with the surround system....which is packed away in the box and out of sight now.
Also waiting arrival of a little keyboard thingy with a voice thing, he was pleased about that too.
Sunshine and showers...:)

Cool! Hope you have more sunshine than showers today...

Thanks Helen
Change in the forecast imminent... :|
He had to buy a radiowave weather station thing ( because he is into gadgets ) and he is trying to set it up now as I type...
I dread it because I'm not technically-minded at all...oh joy..its working :)
Update on the sound system...he ordered a new tv!
I can't cope with it all the time...spend spend spend...
It's echoing in my head about financially reckless in the bvFtd article...
:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back