Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add something else

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is breathing oxygen under high pressure (i.e. hyperbaria). This will cause the partial pressure of oxygen to be raised in the body, which will cause more oxygen to be dissolved in our blood. These artificially inflated levels of oxygen can be used to make more superoxide causing more oxidative stress to our cells (e.g. motor neurons), which again, is a theory in the etiology of ALS.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is very different than breathing supplemental oxygen and sometimes, one has no choice but to breathe supplemental oxygen if their oxygen saturation levels are too low. Having said that, if one were to breathe high levels of oxygen, often and for prolonged periods of time (for example, a fireman and the use of oxygen masks when fighting fires), this could potentially cause additional oxidative stress to the cells of our bodies (e.g. motor neurons). That is complete speculation, but gives a scenario where "extra" oxygen can cause harm.
As a further note: high level of oxygen is certainly by no means the only thing that causes oxidative stress in our bodies. Many, many, many things that we are exposed to, cause damage also . . . AND . . . our bodies naturally produce these molecules that cause oxidative damage as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to clear that up a bit.

Interestingly, oxidative stress is hypothesized to be involved in vitiligo, as well (a condition I suffer from).

Andie-

Besides slurred speech, the next symptom that I noticed that several times in a day, when I went to say the next word, it just wasn't there. Maybe the word was "the" or something so basic, but I would be talking along and stop abruptly. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or more for the word to come, but it eventually does.

Andie-

Besides slurred speech, the next symptom that I noticed that several times in a day, when I went to say the next word, it just wasn't there. Maybe the word was "the" or something so basic, but I would be talking along and stop abruptly. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or more for the word to come, but it eventually does.

Shatzie, About not being able to say the word, are you thinking of the word you want to use, its not like you're searching for it, but rather it takes a while for it to come out? Is this what you're describing? I've noticed I slow down sometimes before certain words. Its not like I'm mentally casting about for the word, but rather there is a hesitation. The neurologist wrote it up as possible spastic dysarthria. Something that I found very frustrating was when I was having the modified swallow test, and at one point when I was instructed to swallow I absolutely could not. Could not even attempt it, it took well over 30 second (seemed longer). When that happened, it was upsetting because my other problems with the swallowing process had not been because of an inability to swallow....

When I have trouble finding the word, I cannot even think of the word I am looking for, I draw a complete blank for a short period of time.

Shatzie - I'm having that word problem also. I find that my family is filling in the word for me. I haven't said anything to my husband or friends because that was one of my mother's first symptoms with frontal lobe dementia. YIKES! We all filled in the word for her for a long time before we caught on that there was something to it. Let's just hope we are having brain fog. I do plan on telling my neuro at my next visit in June. Until then I'll just keep it to myself and all my friends here.

Sharonca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back