Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Wi
City
Watertown
Can someone tell me how Bulbar symptoms start and how do they feel? I've had a swallow study done and a nerve conduction test on my tongue and throat and there are parts of my esophogus that the muscles no longer work, so food sticks in it and I have to drink to get it down. I feel like there is a golf ball in my throat all the time and I have weakness laterally in my tongue, both sides.

bulbar symptoms

I think it is different for everyone. My husband was diagnosed in 2001 w/als. His first symptoms were also in the bulbar area. He had the same studies, but his difficulty started with choking on thin liquids ie.. water, soda, tea ect... he really never had trouble with solid food, and still doesn't have trouble swallowing them, but has great difficulty with chewing food. He really has no control with his tongue. Have you been to www.alsa.org you will find lots of information there.

Hi qualitybabe: My mother had motorneuron disease with bulbar symptoms. She started by having hoarseness in her voice, then a slight drool,then when she would try to swollow the food it would get stuck. She then progressed to slurring her words. I hope your progression is slow. Take it one day at a time. God Bless. Anne

Anne--
How long did it take for your mother to go from hoarseness to drool and then swallowing problems?

Thanks,
Jeff

I started out with drooping on the left side of my face and felt like i had a lump in my throat, i couldn't swallow my meds. they thought that i had bells palsy or had a stroke. then my voice got hoarse and swallowing got harder. it took about 8 months for my voice to go and about 1 year before i had to get a feeding tube to take my meds and supplement my eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back