Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nv
City
reno
Hello,
I'm a 39 year old male....For the last 2 months, I've had trouble speaking....I feel something going on with my tongue when I go to speak. I'm not slurring, it's more that my tongue feels swollen in different spots and makes it hard to speak. Sometimes the swollen feeling goes away, but I still have trouble. I wake up and it's fine, but it gets progressively worse during the day...

I saw a post on here saying this is how their mom started, and now I'm worried. Can bulbar present like this, or do you just wake up with slurred speech all of a sudden?

You don't "feel" anything. Your tongue just fails to get into position to make sounds, thus slurring. And nothing comes and goes, it is a progressive disease. My husband has had bulbar onset for going on four years. Your symptoms do not match anything he ever experienced. You don't have ALS in my humble opinion.

Have you contacted your family physician about this? You need to be checked out. I don't think what your describing has anything to do with bulbar ALS at all from what you describe. Maybe, you could get a referral from your physician to see a ENT (ear, nose, and throat doc). Asked him what he thinks should be your next step. Sorry, you are having any issues at all but I don't think you'll find your answers here. Your problems aren't ALS related from your descriptions. Best of luck to you.

cougar honey, you have been trying this on here since November last year.

You don't have ALS, not in your limbs, and now not bulbar, no matter how anxious you feel about it.

Members, please always check previous posts when someone posts here to get a good background.

Please go back to your doctor and explain your anxiety. We have told you, a neurologist has cleared you and that's the end of the help we can give you.

All the best

Thank you for your replies, even though I have been a pest. I'm going to make another appt with the GP, see what he says. I am sorry for taking any time, I was/am genuinely concerned and thus my post. But your replies have made me feel better. Thanks again...

I went back and noticed that he had posted since November as well. His age appears to be going backwards too. lol One post I think said he was 41 and now 39. Lucky man! Wish I had that experience. lol

(Kim, he was replying to a Thread by "notBrad" who is 41.)

Sorry, my fault on that one. I was wanting his anti-aging secret otherwise. I hit the big 50 next summer. Sorry, for the remark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back