Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
IL - Illinois
City
Forest Park
I'll try to keep this simple and to the point, but I've been dealing with speech issues and random twitching for a while now. Below is some information:
  • Age/Gender: 27 / Male
  • Medication: Celexa (for anxiety, 4th week)
  • Background: I'm naturally a shy person, not really good at socializing (used to be!) and would consider myself an anxious person. However, for about 2 years now, I've been having difficulty with my speech. In the beginning, it's not like I started slurring my words or anything like that, but I found it really hard to communicate with people, to come up with the right words, etc. I had memory fog and I thought that I had a mini-stroke or something. I also went through some stressful times around that time, so I'm not sure if that kickstarted this whole thing. At any rate, I carried on as best I could.

It wasn't until recently (July 4th of this year) that my whole body started experiencing twitching. It's random twitching (legs, shoulders, biceps, arms, sometimes fingers) and it comes and goes, but I feel it on a daily basis. And you can pretty much guess where Dr. Google led me too.

I've learned about BFS, but so much more of ALS. Below are some reasons why I'm concerned of ALS and some reasons why I'm not
  • Symptoms:
    Concerned about:
    --Random twitching
    --Right leg behind knee-cap feels like it's cramping, but it's a very minor feeling and I usually get this when I stand/walk on my feet for long periods of time.
    --Speech issues: have had this for a while (2 years), but recently I noticed that my tongue does weird things. And certain letters I feel like I don't pronounce right (L's, R's). In addition, my tongue slaps the bottom of my mouth, kinda of like when you make that popping/clicking sound with your tongue (you do it as a kid all the time).

Why I'm not concerned:
    --No weakness anywhere
    --No swallowing or slurring issues (sometimes I think I do slur) - I do clear my throat a lot of but I've always had that bad habit, and usually hock out a loogie
    --Can sometimes talk okay in pressure situations or when I'm angry
    --Can read books out loud without any problems (Question: would I be able to read perfectly fine if I had bulbar-onset?)
    --No fasics on tongue
As I mentioned above, I am being treated for anxiety, but the hardest thing for me to overcome is that I don't have a physical illness. I can usually speak okay when I'm talking about my symptoms, but with small-talk I am absolutely terrible at it- can't come up with the right words, certain letters I can't enunciate correctly, etc.

I would appreciate any feedback and advice you guys give me. Thank you very much!

Answered in your other thread. You should know that this forum moderates certain words, which may be how you double posted. You should close this thread and lock it.

Thanks notme...I'll close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back