Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Norwalk
I am 23 and have questions about bulbar onset.

I have had a lingering cough since January of this year, it seems to be worse in the morning and kind of lingers throughout the day. It got really bad in february, I took some antibiotics and steroids and it helped for about 2 weeks then it came back. My cough has been consistent since then.

In February I began twitching, body wide. Along with some zaps and stinging feelings. Those symptoms vary from day to day.

More recently I began to have tongue twitches. When I lay down my cough seems to get worse, and it feels like it's harder to swallow when I'm laying down as well. It feels as if theres something stuck in my throat and I have to keep clearing it to swallow. Would this be a sign of progression?

How long would it take for bulbar signs to show?

Does this sound like anyone else's experience ?

Thank you for your time and response. I read the link I was not sure how to feel about the symptoms I have when lying down. I know the twitching is non specific in the absence of muscle function failure, and that bulbar usually starts with slurred speech, however I was surfing old posts to find answers and didnt seem to see anyone saying anything about that or bringing it up.

I just wanted to know if its something I should be concerned about considering I have twitching and I am only 3 months in with no emg done. I have had a visit to the neuro and he said he would give me and emg for my own reassurance, but it has been postponed dude to covid.

A cough improving with antibiotics and steroids suggests inflammation in the lungs and/ or sinuses. It could be allergies. Cough worse with lying down is positional and not ALS. Start with your primary care doctor.

This is definitely something to take back to your doctor who can examine you and decide on tests needed.
This isn't how I've ever heard of ALS starting, so put that out of your head and work with your doctor to solve together. All the best.

Thank you all for your time and replies, it is extremely appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back