Reason
Other
Country
UK
State
Down
City
Belfast
Hi I am a male aged 35 who trains a lot and is fit. I suffer from health anxiety and was diagnosed by a neurologist with benign fasculation syndrome 2 years ago because of muscle twitching. Because of my health anxiety I did a lot of reading regarding ALS/MND which has remained in my memory. For the last three weeks I have had a need to clear my throat. My throat feels irritated and sometimes dry. My speech isn't slurred and I can eat ok and swallow liquids fine and gargle water ok. I have my gag reflex and can blow out my cheeks move my tongue about and press my tongue against my cheeks. I am worried this constant throat clearing could be the start of bulbar als due to information I read 2 years ago and I am scared to google. Basically Im asking with my age and the symptoms I am showing is there anyway this could be bulbar als. Also I think the throat clearing has partly become a habit as I am always thinking about it. the throat clearing doesn't happen in bed or affect my sleeping and it isn't all the time. I have read that throat clearing can be an early symptom of onset bulbar. Sorry to annoy everyone by asking this. I may add the twitching has greatly improved and I rarely notice it anymore. I have had so many symptoms that have been anxiety and went away. This throat clearing is my new fear

No, Dave. Excessive clearing of the throat is not something that would make me think I was dying.

No, Dave. Excessive clearing of the throat is not something that would make me think I was dying.
Thanks, so much for your reply, I really thought hard about posting on this site because I know you probably have health anxiety crazy people like me coming on all the time asking questions. When I think about it, my age, no speech or swallowing issues, have gag reflex and can do all the tongue tests, can gargle water and drink totally fine I do realise that I am being stupid, along with the fact I have health anxiety and am completely focusing on this symptom which I am sure makes it worse. If you think about throat clearing all the time it will make you want to clear your throat. Would you agree that this is definitely nothing to worry about and not ALS.
Many Thanks
Dave

Thanks, so much for your reply, ... Would you agree that this is definitely nothing to worry about and not ALS.

I can't diagnose you because I'm not a doctor. But I think you have reason to go see your family doctor. Don't worry about ALS, though. I just don't see any ALS in your future.

You don't have ALS symptoms Dave. But, I would see your family doctor. Anxiety can cause alot of health issues. Please leave this forum as you don't need to be here at all and it will only make your imagination think you have something you clearly don't. Also, please don't google your symptoms. See a doctor and let him give you a diagnosis. Hope you enjoy the Holiday season. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back