Not open for further replies.

Kristin01

Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
For the last month, every time I eat a big meal, I have some phlegm in my throat after. I can either clear it with a quick cough or by clearing my throat a couple times. Does this sound related to ALS at all? I have read that coughing up phlegm after eating can be an early symptom of a swallowing disorder. My tongue also quivers on the edges when I stick it out, but is still when it is at rest in my mouth.

Would you be concerned about these two things? When I mentioned the phlegm to my neuro, all he said was that he specializes in neurological disorders and phlegm after eating is not neurological. I've read stuff on line that contradicts that.

If this is your only symptom, it may be (and hopefully is) something other than ALS. But for myself, I started noticing this thing many years ago, at least 5, may be more - every time after a meal I am getting flegm, and have to cough it out. But it was not until end of 2006 when I ran into actual swallowing problems - I could not initiate swallowing a few times, and food was just staying there at the far end of my mouth. This is a UMN symptom. I am still officially undiagnosed, but having quite a few UMN and LMN symptoms, things do not look promising.

Thank you for responding. Is there a lot of phlegm that you cough up? I'm only 25 and I'm really trying to remain calm.

Kristin, After I eat ... especially thick drinks ... I get very thick saliva in my mouth. It doesn't affect my throat or make me cough. I use paper towels to wipe my whole mouth out. Usually that shuts it down.

I don't know if this is related to your problem. I've had bulbar symptoms for 2 1/2 years, and this is only happening in the last six months. I do cough a lot, but have never coughed up any phlegm. What I experience with ALS is a dry cough. Like "ptich" said, my swallowing problems are primarily in initiating a swallow, plus occasional choking or aspirations of food/saliva/liquids into my lungs.

An ear-nose-throat doctor might have more information for you on the phlegm.

This symptom does not sound to me like ALS, but I am no doctor. I understand that most people have quivers in their tongue when they stick them out. That's normal and benign. Neurologists look at the tongue at rest in the mouth for evidence of fasiculations.

Good luck!
Beth U

Thank you Beth. I don't actually cough up the phlegm. I can just normally clear it with one cough, but it is always there after I eat. Is your cough always dry?

Yes, it's always dry, unless I'm choking on something I'm trying to swallow.

BethU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back