Friend was DX
Country
US
State
MI
City
Lansing
Hi. I'm new to this Forum.

My best friend was diagnosed a few months ago with ALS. She is in her mid-30's and has bulbar onset ALS. At least that is what the doctor's are saying.

She started exhibiting symptoms almost immediately after having a spinal block done for a c-section delivery. (This was over 2 years ago). Her speech a couple of days after the block was slurred, like she had a couple drinks. It has progressively gotten worse. She is very difficult to understand and she has problems swallowing. She's been in and out of Dr's. Had MRIs and all of that - all looked normal. It took 2 years but they finally gave her an ALS diagnosis. She has NO other symptoms - no weakness in limbs or anything like that.

I have a few questions I'm hoping to get direction on.

1. Does it sound like this may be something else? The circumstances around it's onset just seem odd to me.

2. She has read somewhere that bulbar onset has a longer life expectancy. Intuition tells me that it probably would be shorter, since the speaking & swallowing seem to be in the region of the respiratory function. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Hi,
I wanted to reply because thats excatly when my symptoms started. I had a spinal to numb me from the waist down so that i could have my c-section. I am 24. All of my symptoms started right after that. In fact my theory has been whatever I have wither it be BFS or ALS was caused by the needle going into my spine. I have asked my doctors over and over if that could have caused all of my symptoms because they came on right after that but all of them tell me its highly unlikley. But I am not convinced that they are right. I know my body, Ive lived with it for 24 years and know that something started to go very wrong after that and the surgery. I have twiches/fasciculations everywhere all the time, I have jerking, tremors, and something in my throat thats almost impossible to get up at times. About Bulbar onset I might be wrong and maybe the pals can correct me if I am but from my understanding bulbar onset is the most progressvie type. Anyway, I hope that your friend has something other then ALS, something treatable at least. My prayers are with you and your friend.

Ashley

I have the same thing. My symptoms did not start until after I had an epidural for a vaginal birth. I have wondered often if there was nerve damage from the injection. It did not even work and they had to give it to me several times.

hello

I had the same thing happpen after i gave birth to my baby from a c-section it came on but she did pass away so the docs think its from me loosing the baby. But 7 months later and symptoms getting worse so it will only tell with time.

I have the same thing. My symptoms did not start until after I had an epidural for a vaginal birth. I have wondered often if there was nerve damage from the injection. It did not even work and they had to give it to me several times.

That is how it was in my case, or very simlar anyway. They had to keep re sticking me in my spine because they could not find the right spot to put it. Finally after many many failed atempts they got the right spot.

Ashley

So could it be nerve damage from that? Not that doctors would ever tell you because they stick up for each other and do not want another to be sued because of malpractice. All of this stems from that. Annmarie- didn't you say that your symptoms started after your gaulbladder was removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back