00/0000
Country
DE
State
DE
City
Koln
Good afternoon!
So i was reading this section and sticky posts and i have a question regarding my symptoms.
About a month ago i developed problem with swallowing. I can swallow liquid and food. But saliva is really hard or almost impossible to swallow. And with liquid and food i feel a 'lumb' in my throat and so even if i drink i can hear a gurgling sound and its still feels hard to swallow. But my speech is not affected. Tongue doesnt have fasciculations.

My jaw is sore and really strange, like almost fatigued at all times and sometimes spasms.

Then i developed sore feeling in my tights and arms. Like after hard workout.

I got upper body EMG but without bulbar muscles(only hands). And its clean.

My questions is can it be ALS and if i have clean EMG of arms should i do another bulbar EMG to check jaws/tongue/neck muscles?

Sorry for taking your time its just not so clear for me how swallowing is showing itself in ALS cases.

Thanks.

The EMG you had would be sufficient to see if there was any nerve damage that could be related to ALS. In fact, the hallmark of an ALS EMG is abnormalities in muscles that you think are fine. So I would see no reason to do another EMG.

You could have allergies, GERD, dry throat, anxiety, as the most common problems relating to the "lump" feeling. The most common way that relates to tightness in your body is through anxiety or a virus. Your primary care physician is best equipped to monitor your condition and advise as to next steps.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks so much Laurie for your input!
Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back