Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
CA
City
Yucca Valley
I have noticed recently that when I drink coffee or hot tea, I always inhale too much air and cannot burp for hours. It use to happen just once in awhile, when I would drink a shake with a straw, but never hot tea (I don't use a straw for thin liquids). Does anyone with bulbar symptoms have this problem?:-(

Never had that problem.

I have been having problems burping myself. To the point of being painfull.

Why - dunno .

Glen

If you have a PEG, just open it and that works better than burping. It is a great way to get rid of excess gas.

Sorry I am past drinking tea or coffee but never had that problem when I could drink.

oh how I would love to be able to drink coffee again. Just can't seem to swallow it. Maybe because it is hot. Really, I can open the tube and burb? I have liquid in my tube. This is going to take some time to get used to, isn't it?

If you put a syringe in the tube and hold it up then you can do some really nice burps without making a mess. My dietitian told me that if I had an upset stomach that I could just open the tube over the sink and relieve the pressure, so to speak. Thankfully I have not had to do that yet but I'm sure it beats barfing! :roll::roll:

For most of my life I almost never burped, I couldn't do it. If I burped 4 times in a year that was a lot. But starting early this year, I have begun burping all the time. I probably burp 20 times a day. Part of it may be swallowing difficulties, I am swallowing more air. But I think partly it is due to a hiatal hernia that was found on one of my swallow X-rays, maybe that has gotten worse or changed shape, allowing burps to happen now. At least having air go into the stomach is a lot better than having liquid go into the lungs, so I don't worry about it much.

Well Judy i would say take real small amounts in when you swallow ,also being just a bit anxious doesnt help either . being you have swallowing issues anyway ,you might be apprehensive that you might choke . When i take my pills at night sometimes im apprehensive about choking and i have trouble getting them to go down . Try moving everything to the right or left in your mouth and guide it down one side or the other . ? when we are anxious we tend to get tight ,if im cold my muscles get tight or if im anxious .Also take a deep breath a few times before a swallow . Geo

For most of my life I almost never burped, I couldn't do it. If I burped 4 times in a year that was a lot. But starting early this year, I have begun burping all the time. I probably burp 20 times a day. Part of it may be swallowing difficulties, I am swallowing more air. But I think partly it is due to a hiatal hernia that was found on one of my swallow X-rays, maybe that has gotten worse or changed shape, allowing burps to happen now. At least having air go into the stomach is a lot better than having liquid go into the lungs, so I don't worry about it much.

Can you do the alphabet yet ?

Geo,
Thank you. I think that might be the answer. I am very anxious when I tip the cup up to my mouth. So much so, I breath in and out very fast before I take a gulp. I need to relax and take little sips. It's amazing what you learn when you pay attention to your actions and get a little help from your friends. Thanx again.

To all you who responded about the "tube", I don't have a PEG, nor plan on getting one.

at my last Rehab appointment, the speech lady noticed that I inhale and hold my breath while drinking. She said that was a good thing, as I am ready to cough should I try the wrong hole.

Funny thing was that I didn't really know or thought about that.

Glen

I think I take in more air than usual when eating or drinking. I think being so careful with each bite or sip is making me take in more air? Wonde if this makes sence to anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back