Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
46 y/o male. Chin tightness. Strained swallowing (almost painful at times) Not choking on food or liquids. Clicking sound above Adam's Apple when swallowing. Constant phlegm. Experience strained voice due to phlegm. No one has told me I'm slurring words, but I'm now hypervigilant over the matter.

Widespread twitching, including face. Toes seem to not want to work properly. No foot drag. Can walk on heels, toes. But three middle toes are "off" (don't have a better word). Left hand seems tight and finger articulation is awkward. Muscles do jerk randomly (mostly while at rest or asleep).

EMG from 3 years ago was normal. I suppose that does me no good now.

Does this sound like ALS attacking multiple areas areas?

Grateful for your responses.

Hello there-

It seems like your concerns about having ALS has been going on for a few years now. You're still under the care of someone who knows your history and reported concerns from 2019? Your best bet is to work with your doctor- get a clinical exam, note any changes and follow their recommendation of next steps. If you've been worried about the same thing for at least 3 years and there has been no detectable weakness or neuro signs (as noted by a medical professional), ALS would not be the thing to worry about.

Take care

Have you seen a doctor?

Thank you for your gracious and quick response. Anything glaringly ALS, from what I described? My PCP did notice a swollen uvula, post nasal drip and an irritated throat.

Make sure to reread the comments you've already received for reassurance.
If you've been worried about the same thing for at least 3 years and there has been no detectable weakness or neuro signs (as noted by a medical professional), ALS would not be the thing to worry about.

ALS onset does not affect the nose and throat as you describe, but allergies and/or GERD do. Given the clicking, you can certainly see an ENT to rule out a mass. Hydration and a nasal steroid can do no harm.

If no one says you're slurring, you're not. "Off" toes may need different shoes or insoles, and everything else you've described tends to feed on itself.

ALS onset is not about the multiple areas/ features that you've described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back