Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Williamsville
Reading through this forum I do feel a bit silly posting this, but thank you for anyone taking out any time to respond, it means more than you know.

For about a month and a half I've been having issues swallowing. I swallow, and the food stops like partway down my throat, or at least some of it does. And it takes a couple of forced swallows and water to get stuff down. Eating has been hard and I've stopped eating as much and have lost weight. At first i thought it was my anxiety, but it didnt feel like it i guess. I've had anxiety before and when i had those issues and eatint, it felt way different. It felt like i was scared to swallow, scared of choking, so i couldnt swallow properly. This feels much, much different, and has persisted even when my mind has been at peace and at ease. I've also had some speech issues stumbling over my words and slurring a bit, but that could be because I've been thinking about it and focusing on it doing a lot of talking to see if I would stumble...i know that sounds very stupid. I an move my tongue around and its not twitching, not that i can tell. Also my swallowing issues persist with solids, liquids, and my saliva. When i swallow it just balls up in my throat as well and doesnt go all the way down. The amount of water I've been consuming just to not be coughing because of food or saliva staying in my throat instead of being swallower,, is staggering. My sent me to an ENT who did an endoscopy, found nothing, and sent me for a barium swallow. I took the barium swallow a week ago, and visited my ENT on Tuesday and the results were perfectly fine. Im...confused. My ENT said that she has no idea what it could be nice the barium swallow came back perfect, and i went on my way. Im a 20 year old male from the US, and i feel...helpless. I know nothings 100% chance obviously, but knowing, or at least knowing that this doesn't line up with ALS, would help a lot i think. I looked up my symptoms (foolishly) online a few weeks ago and this als thing has been picking at the back of my mind. I dont care what my issue is and ill ride it out until it goes away...i just cant wrap my head around if its possibly als.

Thank you for your time, it truly means a lot to me. I know that its incredibly unlikely given my age and no family history of als, but that small chance wears away at my mind and has brought down my morale. Again i feel very silly posting this because i know there are people suffering from this awful disease als and i feel so silly thinking that i might have it or be showing symptoms. Again, thank you for your time

It doesn’t sound like ALS and your barium swallow would have showed something if you had ALS swallowing problems

Talk to your pcp since you have been cleared by ENT. Be open with him/ her about your worries and consider it seriously if anxiety is raised as a cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back