Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IT
State
IT
Hello everyone, I apologize for my bad English and thank you for what you do. I would like to ask you for an opinion on my case, I am a 36 year old boy who has been experiencing fasciculations for about 9 months, starting from the calves which then hit the whole body in a swinging way, for 4 months the tongue. I have performed several visits including also with a degenerative disease expert and 3 emg, the last 3 months ago. Everything has always given negative results for the disease I fear but for about 2 months I have had difficulty swallowing, mainly solids that seem to stop in my throat and need multiple swallows or that I drink to get off. I also have a persistent cough, not associated with a meal. I would like to ask you if what is happening now can be linked to a bulbar als and if I should repeat the emg after 3 months have passed. The neurologist without visiting me says that it is all psychosomatic. I thank you and wish you all the best in the world.

Three EMGs and experts say no and no to your two questions. We will say the same.

Cough and difficulty with solids is often related to GERD, allergies, and/or anxiety, so I encourage you to explore those with your primary physician, who can also help rule out a tumor or stone.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you. I have already been examined by an ENT who has not encountered any problems. That's why I'm worried, I find it hard to believe that everything is related to anxiety.

A note that an ENT would have definitely identified if there was something of concern. That they did not find anything eliminates the chance of it being ALS. While we can not comment on what the cause might be, it is clear it's not ALS, so you must keep working with your doctor to track down the reasons you are having issues.

It doesn't have to be either an ENT thing or an ALS thing. There are many things in between, that time often makes clearer what will help.

thanks for everything. my concern stems from the fact that the ENT examined me when the dysphagia was not yet present. I'll be doing a neurological checkup soon. I do not want to steal any more time, thanks for your availability, I would like to be a man with your strength.

sorry if I still disturb you. After this period my swallowing problem has improved or at least I give it less importance. What it seems to me instead is the difficulty of speaking that I experience above all in the evening, but which I also experience during work. Nobody hears it apart from me, I often ask my wife but she says no. Often in the evening I cannot say tongue twister that in the morning they succeed without any problem and I seem to find it difficult to speak without flaws in my speech. I have constant lingual fasciculations that the neurologist defines as benign. Thanks

Congrats on several exams that say you have no ALS along with no symptoms that point to ALS. That is great news and means you no longer need to be here.

Take good care and enjoy your long, healthy life. Good luck to you and take care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back