Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Massachusetts
City
Taunton
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what the first symptoms are of Bulbar ALS are?

Also, when it states that people typically have difficulty swallowing saliva, what does that mean exactly?

I see a neurologist next week after my primary and ENT could not help.

I have excessive saliva and have difficulty swallowing my own saliva. I do not have any problems with my tongue or swallowing liquids and foods.

Thanks so much for your help!

Most people that have swallowing issues have it with all liquids (not thicker ones) not just saliva. Speech difficulties are usually noticed in Bulbar ALS. Are you seeing a general neuro or one that specializes in MND's?

AL.

Hi, Jordan ... my understanding is that bulbar onset ALS usually (almost always?) starts with slurred speech.

In what way are you having trouble swallowing saliva? I can't quite picture it, since you say you don't have trouble with other liquids. I have problems with excess saliva, but it tends to be thick, probably because of the med I use to reduce the saliva flow. My swallowing problems with liquids include delayed swallowing (can't get the muscles to work), reguritation (it spouts right back out), aspiration (going into the lungs instead of the stomach) and choking.

If your only problem is saliva, that could be easily treated, I think. I'm not sure what conditions would cause it, but it's not an early symptom of ALS, so you're off the hook there.

Good luck finding the answer!

agree with Bethu, normally starts with slurred speech and the odd occasion of liquids sputing out the wrong way when eating liquids, like cereal. The difficulty swallowing saliva comes much much later on, and you would have had other symptoms before then..like now I have difficulty swallowing but I have also lost my speech almost totally, walking is difficult and balance is really off. I wish you luck with your neuro visit, and hope it calms all your fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back