Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
City
Waukesha
Hello All: I am new to this forum but have been following it for some time. I read threads for reassurance. I am almost five months pregnant and I have a three year old son. My husband does not work and suffers from ADD.

I have a great deal of stress on my shoulders and worry my symptoms are related to Bulbar ALS. My tongue has been twitching sporadically for five months. It comes and goes. I can feel and see the twitches so that is how I know they are there. I have recently noticed that my saliva seems to slightly go up my nose when I swallow. I am not always sure and do know if I have true nasal regurgitation. But this is really scaring me. I also have not noticed any changes in drinking or eating. My voice seems fine. Finally, I noticed that when I swallow I can see muscle moving on one side of my neck but not the other.

I am really scared for my babies. I do not know what will happen to us if I am terminally ill and cannot work. Please help me. I waiting for neurology appointment but that could take a long time.

Thank you so much.
Scared Mother

I understand you have alot going on with a toddler and being pregnant, but truly I can't imagine how the symptoms you described had you jump to ALS. Please read the stickies and keep your appointment with your doc, but I simply do not see ALS in your description. My husband has bulbar ALS andh is onset was not even remotely what you have described. Twitching, even tongue twitching, is not diagnostic of anything. I would follow-up with your PCP and ask what could be causing your symptoms as it is NOT ALS.
Tracy

Ditto what Tracy said. There is no reason to believe that you have ALS, might be getting ALS, or harbor the potential for it.

I have also noticed air comes out my nose when I talk. Could that mean my nasal palate is not working properly? I read about this on a previous post.

I am so sorry to be bothering you. I am just so scared.

These are Primary Care Physician questions. All we can say is that it still does NOT sound like ALS to us. Truly. You need to focus your energy on getting an appointment with your doc and following up with him. At this point, any fear related to ALS is unfounded. Go to your doc and see what he/she says.

All the best,
Tracy

Thank you Tracy. I have been in contact with my PCP. I am going to try and see a neurologist. My PCP feels the chances of this being ALS is low.

I was doing OK until I started getting what I think is nasal regurgitation.

I also did read all the stickies before I joined but was still very concerned.

Your advice and words are helpful. I will try to stay calm. Some of this fear is driven by the fact that my husband doesn't work and I do not know what would happen to us if I fell terminally ill. I will hopefully be able to see the neurologist soon.

Thank you again,
Scared Mother

The best advice we can give is to see your doctor about your symptoms without asking if you have ALS. While you wait to be seen, stop googling symptoms which will only fuel your anxiety.

I do not know why I am posting. I have an appointment with a neurologist in two weeks. But I cannot stop worrying. The fear is overpowering me and making me physically ill and I am losing weight. I am trying to listen to all of you. I am trying to get up and just get by.

I had small amount of food regurgitate into my nose tonight. It scared me to death. I cannot stop looking at my neck since one side is bigger and moves more when I swallow. This scares me very much as well.

Sorry for the rant. This pregnancy is making me worse and I am really struggling. I am so scared for my children. I am scared for all of us.

For those that read this, thank you for listening to me.

Warm regards,
ScaredMother

Okay, so you know this fear is not based on reality. You need to call your pcp and ask about controlling your anxiety until you get to the neuro. But this is not ALS. You need to stay away from this site and stop googling.

Best wishes to you.

Tracy

I'm sorry your symptoms are causing so much anxiety but this isn't an anxiety forum. Let us know what you find out, but in the mean time try not to google or read posts here that will only fuel your anxiety.

Hi Christine:

I know this foolish to ask but do my symptoms sound like als to you?

After your reply I will take your advice and stop doing this to myself and to this group.

Thank you,
Scared Mother

Three other members have indicated that it does not sound like ALS and I concur.

Thank you. I will follow up with you all after my Neuro appointments. Have a nice day.

Hello All,

This is a quick update. I saw a neurologist today and he did a full clinical evaluation. He knew I was concerned about ALS. He found nothing wrong with me and wouldn't even order an EMG. He will see me in two months just to make sure all is well.

I will admit I am still a little concerned but I am trying to trust the the doctor.

Thank you for all your responses to my concerns and questions

~MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back