Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Vernon
My mother-in-law fell last night, face first into her walker then hit the floor. She was taken to the ER and has cuts but the worst part is she broke her nose. They told her when she needs her O2 to put the hose to her mouth, my question is what about her bi-pap. I don't think she will be able to wear it now for some time and she only has 32% lung function left. Are there any suggestions. This is just terrible, the ALS, the falling, now to break her nose, my heart breaks for her.
In friendship
Jeannie

Gosh Jeanne, this is a rotten turn of events. Here's hoping she heals fast. Some of our PALS might have an idea about how to use the bi-pap with a broken nose, and I wonder if her pi-pap company has some ideas. They might have dealt with this before. Good luck and let us know how this situation works out! Cindy

Jeanie, How painful and scary for her too! There are different styles of headgear that can be used for the PAP machines. There is an oral style which would be better than even a mask that covers nose and mouth. I will go look for it and post the manufacturer/ style number. Several online stores carry a pretty wide variety, if you google CPAP instead of BiPAP more sites should turn up in your search. (they use the same equipment as far as headgear) I found some much easier to search than others. Overnight shipping/ weekend delivery is available (for a price). What style does she use now? nasal pillow? because I don't see how she could possibly have that held tight enough to keep a seal with a broken nose.

Good luck!

Fisher & Paykel Oracle Oral 452 The unique Fisher & Paykel Oracle Oral 452 CPAP Mask and Headgear delivers pressure through the mouth rather than the nose. Clinically proven to function as effectively as a nasal CPAP mask, the Oracle 452 is a perfect solution for mouth breathers and patients with chronic nasal obstruction.
As a substitute to a traditional full face mask, the Oracle delivers airflow directly into the mouth, preventing an leaking of air from the mouth or blockage of air in the nose. With nothing covering the field of vision, the Oracle 452 provides freedom of movement equivalent only to that of the Infinity 481 Direct Nasal Mask. The Fisher & Paykel Oracle 452 Oral Mask comes as an Out-of-Box Solution fully assembled and ready for use

This is the only one I could find. I think there are two sizes of mouthpieces to choose from. If you have to go the internet route for ordering, you might want to consider buying insurance to be able to return if it doesn't work for her.

Thank you both for your help and support. She didn't sleep well last night and is very uncofortable today. We are heading over to see her in a bit, I will let you know how she is. I told my husband about the advise and he thanks you
In friendship
Jeannie

Sounds like the best advice, taking into account her FVC, is to get a tracheostomy and vent. Life is so much better with one! Have you considered this option at all?

Dear Joel,
Thank you. My mother in law hasn't made up her mind whether she wants to have a trach or not. We are dealing with issues of care right now and aren't sure how we would get her 24/7 care. How do you manage with that. Thank you for your support, it is more than appreciated.
In friendship
Jeannie

My heart goes out to you and your mom. I pray everyone is getting better. We get some funding from our provincial government to help with hiring relief help so my wife can get out and do grocery shopping or whatever she wants. Otherwise she is with me 24/7. There is very little that needs to be done, someone has to be around just in case you need to be suctioned, the tube comes off or the vent malfunctions, etc. Thankfully these things have not happened, but could so that is why someone always has to be around, and it does not have to be a nurse - anyone can be trained, it is easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back