ktmj

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
Dixie
City
Redneck
I've put a few posts up, and thank God got a good report from an ALS guy the other day, but I still can't shake the physical symptoms. With a BUNCH of stuff going on I won't get into, many of my cramps, spasms occur in the chest and abdomen area. Sometimes it feels as if I am holding my breath or the tightness/spasms in those areas are impacting my breathing. I find myself taking a deep breath sometimes. Fortunately I'm still walking, talking, eating, etc. and with no diagnosis and no issues with those noticeable to anyone alse, but am curious if anyone here developed breathing issues prior to diagnosis. From research I know it's possible, but is it common at all? Everyone else thinks I'm nuts, and I do have a loose screw or two:-D, but I'm not nuts nor a hypochondriac. Just asking for your experience. (Getting good nights of sleep by the way).

Hi ... yes, I had breathing problems at the same time as my speech problems started ... in fact, I thought my speech problems were because of my shortness of breath ... but it was nothing at all like what you seem to be having.

Mine were heart related, and were plain, old fashioned shortness of breath ... could only get out a few words at a time without gasping for air. No spasms or tightness in the chest, and my breathing gradually improved, while my speech continued to go downhill. So I don't think the breathing was related to ALS.

It sounds like you're out of the woods on ALS. Hope so!

Beth you are a gem. All that you have been through and still a great attitude. If I were a hypochondriac I would now assume I had a heart issue but I won't let myself go there.:-D

Last night I was reading through Purpose Driven Life, and there was a section about God's tests, and that He will give us the strength to meet the test, so that we can come out the other side. That's a hope I'll cling to.

Thanks to you, and am very curious about others and when breathing issues developed. Thanks!

Ktmj,

I don't have a diagnosis of ALS (and was cleared of that possibility with a clean EMG a few months ago) but want to comment on your breathing question. I posted in another thread to you about this rubber band feeling around my lower ribs. When it is especially strong it seems difficult to take a deep breath, but I CAN breathe. When describing it to my GP at one point I stressed how it feels as if I am standing around holding my breath...that the muscles you use to take a big breath and hold it are still "holding it"; that they won't let go. This to me sounds like what you are describing. I don't know what it is but have seen something described in the MS forums as a MS HUG and thought it sounded similar. My GP was interested in it enough to have me schedule an appt "asap" (3 week wait to get in as compared to 12 weeks!). It doesn't interfere with my life really, other than being very very uncomfortable sometimes. I do get regular cramps in the ribcage area, front and back, that hurt like hell.
lydia

Thx Lydia, mine has not felt quite like that. I just have so many cramps and tightening of muscles in the chest, back, and abdomen makes me wonder what is happening. I can take a deep breath just fine, these crazy things just make me wonder what the heck is going on sometimes.

It's worse for a day or two after some exercise.

ktmj....

It sounds like you got good news as far as ALS goes, but of course still left in the dark about why you feel like you do.

Thoracic onset (the area you're referring to, is pretty rare, I've read that only about 15% of PALS start with troubles here first.

I have a tendency to get spasms and cramps all around my abdomen, and upper body area, including my neck too. I don't know if it is related or a separate issue maybe due to back problems.

Breathing wise, towards the beginning I had a funny feeling in my chest, kind of a vibrating sense, like there was phlegm down in there rattling around- sort of. (hard to describe.) I was treated for asthma for this (I'm a lifelong asthmatic, very mild though) It did not respond to asthma medication. With the exception of one, none of my doctors have commented on this as to what it means or rather, meant, as I don't notice it very often anymore. The one theory put to me was by my laryngologist who suggested it was related to my vagus nerve, possibly irritation of it. It is the 10th cranial nerve, and I have several other areas that it is responsible for that have problems.

Good luck to you, I hope someone soon can make sense of what is going on! :)

Ahh.. people who have MS call it the MS hug. Sometimes the tiny little muscles between your ribs just spasm and cause these sensations. I've had a clean MRI, but i have these sensations aswell. I think it might be due to my anxiety levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back