Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
My PALS has started feeling shortness of breath this last week mainly when he is lying down.

Also this last week, something else has started. He says it is almost like a hiccup but not a hiccup. Something makes me take a deep breath, once he has taken in as much air as possible, the so called hiccup stops and he exhales.

He said this has been happening all the time for the last week.

Any idea what this is or what is happening?

Time for a visit to the pulmonologist. Diaphragm muscle may be weakening. Bipap will ease breathing.

No clue on hiccups...unless it's minor cramping of the diaphragm.

I also have those instances of a hiccup. For me it is an involuntary big gasp of air and then it lets out. I get them maybe 4-5 times a day. It does not hurt or scare me. I just thought all PALS experienced this. What is odd for me is the fact that I can not take a deep breath normally -- only when this involuntary hiccup occurs. Weird.

Bill

Definitely need to get his breathing checked and do not lay flat, always be partially inclined.

The hiccuping you describe sounds like diaphragm fasciculations. It's really common as the diaphragm starts to be affected. Chris used to get them a lot.

I believe Sooner's husband already has a Trilogy, Greg.

The hiccup can be spasms that temporarily open the passages to/increase available lung capacity.

He does have a Trilogy and starts every night using it. He isn't doing a very good job staying elevated when he sleeps. A hospital bed has been ordered so I am hoping to get it this week. Should I ask for a specific mattress for the bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back