Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything should be working for you. You're the first one I've heard of being told excessive posts. You should be able to PM but some of your posts may be moderated for a bit.
AL.

Hi Michael,

I am sorry to read about your wife's diagnosis. This is indeed a cruel disease, and it is frightening because the progression can be so unpredictable. The upside is that you have time together to express how much you love each other. A lot of people don't get that opportunity because of sudden, unanticipated deaths from things like car accidents. Of course, I wish that none of us would come to a tragic end of any sort, but I do believe that ALS often gives us the chance to prepare for our mortality and truly cherish the time that we have with our loved ones.

Assuming that you live long after your wife's death (whenever that might be, which could be much further away than the "average"), you'll find other ways to add meaning to your life. My grandmother outlived her husband by almost two decades, and I was amazed by the ways that she grew as an individual after his death. She didn't think it was possible to have a fulfilling life without him, but she did so many wonderful things during that time. She never stopped loving him, though--she always celebrated his memory.

The most important thing right now, perhaps, is to remember that you are not alone. This forum is full of caring, compassionate people who will support you and your wife as you "pre-grieve" (as I sometimes call it). I also hope that you will give up--or at least scale back on--the alcohol, if for no other reason just so that you can really savor the time you have with your wife and help her when she needs assistance. Alcohol won't erase the pain, and it can intensify the depression that you might already be experiencing. That being said, I love a good glass of wine. :)

One other thing: Is there an ALS group in your area? It might also help to meet in person with others who are experiencing the same things that you are. This is not an easy disease, and the more support you can surround yourself with, the better.

Lorie,
YES DEFINATELY... please e-mail me ! I'm beside myself !

Thanks Carolan !
I have scaled way back on the "hooch", but mostly because I realized that it wasn't solving anything, really! I know there will be life after Vicki... I just can't imagine right now, just HOW!
Our friends here in south Alabama have all been wonderfully helpful and attentive to our needs, and I've begun to believe that our Lord brought us down here 3 years ago for just that reason... we never really had this sort of support "back home" in St. Louis. I'm going through no more, or no less than y'all have at some point... I know... but this is just like the worst nightmare I've ever experienced... everyone KNOWS that death will come... but no one ever believes it'll come to, THEM! This has been our "wake up call"... and like most "wake up calls"... it came WAY TOO EARLY, for us!
We've checked with everyone imaginable here, and there are NO support groups around here... The nurse at our church and a multitude of other folks have checked for us, as well... and the closest is a 4 hour drive north... Our church nurse wants to start one around... but after it's started, she wants ME to run it...! I'm a "basketcase" right NOW ! I don't see that happin' !
That is how we (Vicki & I) ended up here on the forum... and actually I believe it's much better for us in a LOT of ways! We can talk to anyone in the WORLD, on this forum... anytime, day, or night... we needn't even get dressed to go out.
Friends here have loaned the use of a drive-on wheelchair lift for our car, and an electric wheelchair which we are getting today... so I guess I'll be going to get it now...

Thank you for the kind words

Michael S (Mike)

Hi Michael

Your post made me cry but then again lately everything makes me cry.

My George was diagnosed Nov.07 with PMA. They tell us that we are "fortunate" as this type of ALS has a longer survival rate. His ALS affects from waist up and legs are still ok, thank God.

Have no advise for you but glad you are "connected" as you mentioned your pastor. That is our life line.

We too had just retired to S. Jersey by the shore, by the kids, grandkids when this all started.

My husband says, IF YOU WANT TO MAKE GOD LAUGH, TELL HIM "YOUR PLANS" FOR THE FUTURE. We just never know but one thing WE know for sure is where we are going from here! Amen?

Take care. Your wife is so blessed to have you! My best to you both.

Patty:)

all the stories here have affected me

My dearest friend was diagnosed with ALS just last week and I have done nothing but cried since learning the news. He is a great friend to me and is encouraging me right now when it should be the other way around but I don't know what to do. All I know is that I don't want our friendship to end in 18 months. Is there any hope at all against this disease. I hope I'm not coming off as being negative because I'm not a negative person but am just very sad today. Any help is appreciated!

thank you,

Sandee

Hi Sandee. I've been here 4 years. 18 months is not cast in stone. There is great hope for Lithium. It is not all bad. Take one day at a time.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back