Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
Please go to (**link removed**) and click on the bracelets tab to see a new innovative jewelry item to raise funds for ALS Research and awareness for ALS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Al!

Al,
I am a "lurker" here on and off over the years and am also one of the moms helping with Project H.O.P.E. (Helping Open Peoples' Eyes) and the bracelets. We had a wonderful walk yesterday at Fairy Lake in Newmarket despite the weather and sold around 75 bracelets.
So you all know, 100% of the proceeds from the sale of these bracelets are going directly to ALS as we have been very fortunate to have sponsors covering our supply costs and have to date, made and sold over 800 of them! Not bad considering we only just began selling less than 2 months ago.
So thank you for helping to spread the word about our project which we hope will also help spread awareness.
Hope you had as good of a walk at your location as we did.

Cindy

Thank You Al

Thank you Al:

Thank you so much Al for sending out the word on the BRACELETS for ALS. I truly appreciate it. The bracelets are beautiful and when I look at mine everyday, it reminds me of the person I love , who I wear it for and that there is HOPE.

Cindy, I want to thank you and the other ladies who came up with this idea and have worked non stop to keep the flow of bracelets going. It has meant so much to Gail, words are not enough to tell you. It means so much to me.

I just hope in my heart, that soon the funds raised through the walks and other research fundraising initiatives, will provide enough funding to find a cause and a cure for ALS.

Barbie xo :)

is there an "official" rubber/silicone bracelet for ALS?

Yes there is a braclet like you spoke of,,you can order it online through als assosiation

i saw one that was purple, one that was red that said "strike out als" and another red one that said "never give up".

I was wondering if there was an "official" one. personally, i like the never give up one better than the strike out one. so maybe i'll make my preference official. :)

ALS Ontario has a purple one with the words Hope 4 Life on it. The red ones are from a lady in California I believe. I think she started it as a private venture and it took off so ALSA is selling them too. I think her name is Marian Rozzen or Rossen. I don't think there is an Official OFFICIAL one. I went to the ALSA website and theirs is Strike out ALS in red. So take your pick. AL.

Last edited:
Hello Jinglefork3. You give no information if you are an ALS patient and no idea where you are from. Do you work for this company. If so your post will be removed. I am sure if we need bracelets we can find out where to get them without advertising from a seller here. If I'm wrong I apologize but suggest you contact either David or myself asap. [email protected] or a private message on here. AL.

Last edited:
Canadian Living

The January issue of Canadian Living has an article on the crystal bracelets Gail's friends are making for her and ALS research. So far 76 bracelet sales from the article. Isn't that great? Great for awareness and for research

Barbie:-D

That is great Barb, keep up the good work.
how
ya doing?
paulab

Hi Paula

Hi Paula:

Sorry it has been so long. Way too much going on right now. Hope you are well.
My friend is still progressing, what we feel, very quickly. It has been very hard, to say the least.

The bracelets are still flying. Marilyn Dennis showed them on CityLine (which is like a daytime Martha Stewart type show in Toronto) and after the show, Gail and Tim got 50 orders. They had their first order to the Yukon (WAY UP IN NORTHERN CANADA) Maybe it was Santa ordering one, we are not sure ha ha.

I went to my first "beading party" the other night. Fifteen of Gail's friends and their friends and neighbours get together eat nachos and bead, bead, bead! It was really fun. I am not a naturally crafty person, but I am good at attaching the bracelets on to the awareness cards. It really gives Gail a boost to see all of the support and hopefully these beautiful bracelets will bring alot of awareness of ALS.

Well, I better go and make supper. The kids are outside playing in our first major snowfall and my husband is probably mutilating the driveway with his NEW snowblower, YIKES. Boys and their toys eh! The darn snowblower is so big, I am afraid of it. ha ha hee hee

talk again soon,

Barbie xo :)

bracelets

A good friend of my mother (age 47) was diagnosed with ALS one year ago. Never in my life have I been so affected with the effects of a disease to this degree. A man that was once a very active father of three young children has just recently had his feeding tube inserted. I have spent the last few years away at collage, away from my parents. In this one year my mother's friend has gone from a healthy active man, to an active man who can no longer speak clear enough for her to understand, or swallow food on his own. In reply to the person who wrote about the article in Canadian Living, I agree! I bought bracelts for my mother, myself and my 2 sisters. This can happen to anyone! I think we all get so caught up in our lives we forget it is so fragile. Please help to find a cure for ALS! Buy a bracelet, or do a walk, or a run, or anything that will give funding to finding a cure.
Shannon

Hi Barbie,
I wanted to let you know that I/we used your friend Gails bracelet idea for my friend Linda. As you probably already know, Linda passed away three weeks ago today.
About a month before she died I showed her the beautiful bracelet Gails friends made for her and asked Linda if she would like for me and her other friends to do the same.
Well as usual Linda didn't want to "make a big deal" about herself so I put the idea away. After she died I thought it would be a great way for her friends and family to remember her and raise awareness and funds for the local ALS association. Linda's daughter and sister went out the next day and choose the beads and charm and began making 50 bracelets. Three of us donated the funds for the start up materials so that all the money from the sale of each bracelet would go to directly to ALSA-OC. We've now made and sold an additional 25! All this in 3 short weeks and we have $2,000.00 to donate. An added benefit is the bond it's created in our little community as we see eachother throughout the days and weeks in the grocery store, bank, hardware store, etc. with our "Linda bracelet".

I hope your friend is doing well.
Jeanne

Hi there,

My name is Tim Gould - Gail's husband

I am thrilled that you used our idea and made bracelets of your own. We are getting close to the 2000 mark - Unbelievable for an idea that I questioned selling 200. I kept saying " We don't know 200 people " but with the help of our friends, volunteers, newspaper articles in the Era, and Toronto Sun and now Canadian Living magazine and CityLine TV show they are going at about 50 per day!

Now our new objective is 3000 ! All the Canadian literature on ALS says there are 3000 Canadians suffering from ALS. I think it would be an amazing achievement to sell a bracelet for every Canadian that has ALS. Just like our card says "spreading awareness one person at a time."

I would love to buy one of your bracelets and see it as well as help support your fundraising efforts.

Please email me and let me know how I can get one!

Tim
www.CureALS.ca

Hello

Jeanne:

I also think it is great that you have adopted the bracelet idea in memory of your friend Lynda. Good for you. Yes, these bracelets mean so much. It has given all of Gail and Tim's friends, family, and neighbours a chance to help make a difference and has really brought the community together. Gail certainly has no doubt how many people love her.
I have read many of your posts Jeanne as we have alot in common with this disease.
I am glad to hear that you are still so active in helping to find a cure. Good luck with your bracelets and keep in touch when you can.

Tim, wouldn't it be great to sell enough bracelets for every one suffering from ALS. The beading ladies fingers would be bleeding, but hey, Aim high. ha ha

Barbie :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back