Diagnosis
04/2018
Country
US
State
AZ
City
phoenix
Hoping for some help. I will try to be straight to the point as I know you all are trying to help other members also. I started having pain in my neck near lymph nodes about 4 months ago and elbow pain near where your funny bones would be on both arms. Over the last 4 to 5 weeks have noticed an onslaught of symptoms starting with weakness that started with right leg and arm that has mostly went away. ( I do realize this would not be als ) About the same time minor twitches and fasciculations. As of today I have twitching from feet to eyes right and left side all over very badly within a 5 week period along with mild cramping in forearm and in calfs. I have sub normal strength in all my extremeties and have not noticed any major atrophy of the muscles. I have attempted to continue on not thinking about these symptoms but cant help when body feels this way. I have been able to play football and basketball but not without feeling rediculously tired and overly sore. 30 days ago I had 2 physical exams by a neuro that looked at me and said was ok and also blood work that was fine. However symptoms seemed to have magnified, not sure if self induced or if bodys trying to tell me something. 1. Do fasciculations/cramps happen that quickly? 2. Dont spasms come after weakness and atrophy? 3. Should I be inquiring about other test. 4. Give me some insight as to what to do next. Thanks

You could be having something going on and only a dr can answer that. Als doesn't attack the body as a whole. Maybe go back to your gp and explain what is going on. It could be anything... but I doubt it is als.

I appreciate your response but could someone elaborate a little on the questions please. I couldnt get an appt with a neuro for 5 weeks so a little on edge and feeling terrible. Thanks

Okay, first off, how old are you, ironmike? If you are still playing football and basketball......you do not have ALS! Or if you do, it's in the very first stage. Unfortunately, it usually has to reach a much more noticeable level before it can be determined. None of us are Dr.s here (except maybe our member, 'Wright'. I certainly am not, so anything I/we say is strictly an opinion, you do understand that.

What you should be listening to is the sound advice that you are being given here, and just simply wait (and live your life) until you do see the neurologist......and then listen even more closely to what he tells you.

In my opinion, the answers to your questions are;

#1: yes. They happen when they happen. Who knows when they 'originated'?

#2: if by 'spasms' you're referring to the fasciculations and cramps, I would say that is both a yes, and a no. They can come after, sure. But they can also come before weakness and atrophy, as was the case with my wife.

#3: yes

#4: we just did, hope that helps.

Good luck,

Steve

Thank you for the response both of you. Steve to answer your question im 34 and yes still play sports but at the expense of being physically drained more so on the right side of body. The thing that has me confused is the vast difference between opinions and symptoms. I AM NOT DISCREDITING ANY OF YOU as i am aware some are not opinions but real life experiences. I was asked to read the article the difference between als and bfs twitches. Your saying the twiches/fasciculations came before weakness and the article says that it is a response to dying muscles and is only a secondary response to weakness or atrophy. Does one develop body wide atrophy thus resulting in body wide twitches. I know that all symptoms vary from one to another but just cant quite nail down whether my symptoms are closer to als or bfs. Maybe you could shed some light on why the article says fasciculations/twitches dont jump around from limb to limb but in your wifes case this sounds like it might have happened. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your response and any one who will help to calm the fears of people feeling like this. May god bless you all.

I don't have als. I have mitochondrial myopathy. I have not what I would call twitches but more like a tightening and not as strong as a cramp. I have muscle jerks. I have extreme fatigue, muscle weakness in neck,, shoulders, arms, hips and legs. I have neuropathy in my feet. There is pain, dizziness, and headaches too.

There could be something going on, don't limit it to als. These diseases mimic each other. Only a dr can get to the bottom of it all. Be patient 5 weeks is not that long in the scheme of things. Many wait months and in my case years to get answers. Some here are still waiting. Go in with an open mind. Good luck.

Thanks Vicki, I will just wait it out and keep you all posted. Also Steve got a message that your response was in mod. Not sure what that is exactly. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back