body shutting down after taking cipro, possible ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceK

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi guys,

so long story short, last month i took cipro for a suspected UTI, the UTI went away, but after 7 days of taking the course of Cipro I started to get a lot of body aches, which I thought was just small reaction to the antibiotics, nothing major. A few days later I started getting most of the worst symptons associated with ciprofloxacin toxicity. I started to limp as I walked, my knees feel weak and feel like they can collapse at any moment, I have joint pain everywhere, ankles, achilles tendons, knees, lower back, mid back, upper back, along shoulders and neck, i'm also suffering from peripheral nerve damage and getting tingling especially on my head, i'm having vision disturbances and seeing more floaters. Now the reason why i'm concerned I might have the start of ALS is because of two main reasons, 1. I noticed that I am seeing signs of muscular dystrophy, along my neck, arms, and legs, and 2. I have this strange throat sensation, it's not exactly a sore throat but feels similar to it, also I have been getting throat spasms. I have no idea if there is any connection between ALS and Ciprofloxacion, but I read that Cipro can wreak havoc on the Central Nervous System, and cause the Mitochondria to die. And that's what worries me that will lead to having ALS. I just hope to god i'm wrong and all these horrible symptoms will go away, but it's been more than a month and nothing has gone away.

Hello there- please make sure to read here: Read Before Posting

I would ask if you've been to see the doctor with all your symptoms so they can examine you and observe what you are talking about?

hi there yes i have, and i have seen multiple GP's about it, and they have no idea. :(

If multiple GPs have examined you and not thought they needed to send you to a neurologist, that's great news, meaning that your strength and movement are still substantively normal on exam.

I understand you have some frightening issues, but the further out you get from Cipro, if that's the cause, they should start diminishing -- if you give yourself some mindspace for that. Walking slowly, stretching gently, and watching your sleep/hydration/diet/stress can all pay dividends.

There have no reports linking Cipro to ALS. Millions of people have taken it and do not have ALS. It is true that mitochondria can play a role in ALS, but that would be true for many, many diseases and comes out of studying cells, not people in your position.

If your joint pain continues, I would see a rheumatologist. And new floaters should be seen by an opthalmologist. Since you seem very anxious, a counselor could probably help you sort out what might be physical and what might be more connected with your mind.

Best,
Laurie

I hope your doctors can help you figure what is happening. Honestly, nothing, not a single thing in your description even begins to describe ALS onset. Whatever is going on, do not try to use Dr Google to figure this out, you are heading into a rabbit hole and it is not going to help you at all to do this.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate it, sadly I couldn't reply sooner as it wouldn't let me, I guess for new people you have to wait like 4 days to post again? Besides that, i've spoken to my doctor who sent me for blood tests to detect for Rhabdomyolysis, and a neck x ray to check for spinal changes. The blood test results should be back by the end of the week, so fingers crossed all good. My question to people with muscle dystrophy experience, does the muscle feel flabby before it wastes? It seems to be happening with me, also get pain in the area before it seems to shrink, if Cipro can do severe damage to the nerves then my theory is that it can lead to muscle wasting.

A note that this forum addresses issues that arise from MND/ALS and does not deal with Muscular Dystrophy. You will have to ask your doctor.

Please take your theories to your doctor. All the best, you aren't dealing with ALS so the best thing for you is not to come here, but work with your doctor.

isn't muscular dystrophy a part of ALS? and maybe theory wasn't the right word, but it's good to get suggestions from people rther than just say you aren't dealing with ALS.

no muscular dystrophy is a muscle disease. aLS is a motor neuron disease. It means muscles don’t get signals so deteriorate from disuse not from a primary disease process. Please work with your doctor. This may indeed be secondary to cipro but cipro isn’t a cause of ALS. There is even a current trial of cipro in combination with another drug to treat ALS

We will refer you back to the pinned post. We are not here to argue with you. If you have further questions nor will we help you speculate about muscular dystrophy, please speak with your doctor.

Please understand you may think it is good to get suggestions, but you are asking the terminally ill, and the people exhausted and caring for them to do this.
Please, see your doctor for further help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back