Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OHIO
City
Wickliffe
Does anyone know if any body builder has ever had or currently has ALS? If a possible cause could be an athletic link, I would think that body builders would certainly be at risk, but I was unable to find anyone that has had ALS and was a body builder, which if that is the case I would think it to be more environmental exposure (turf treatments) than physical stimuli, also body builder are indoors as oppose to being out doors, it seem most of the athletes that end up with ALS are sports that are primarily outdoors.

I think when it comes to linking sports to als, its more about the contacts and impacts that are the triggers (running, hitting, falling, stress, etc.)
I raced motorcycles, ran every day, and grew up near the Love Canal !
I didnt have a prayer! LOL
RON

The Washinton U website mentions a possible correlation between people who had played varsity athletics and ALS. Sounds like there is a connection between being a very active person and ALS, but I am sure less active people get it too.

tmasters
Thank you for finding that. That just goes to prove the more we look the more we learn:smile:

Google is great!

You are probably all familiar with the higher incidence of ALS in professional football (soccer) players in Italy.

Didn't they suggest it might be something with chemicals they used on the playing fields?

Yes, that was one hypothesis. It is currently being researched. I wonder though why only Italian soccer players, unless only a specific type of chemical was used on these fields and not in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back