ptich

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
California
City
Mountain View
This morning, just after waking up, I had blurred vision in my right eye for about a minute - as if somebody dragged a paintbrash diagonally. I could not get rid of it by wiping my eye etc, but then it fixed on itself. Not sure if this is relaetd t ALS, though.

Hi ptich,

I experience ALS related vision blurring frequently. There are two causes.

First, if I spend an hour or more focusing on something at a specific distance, like my computer screen or TV, when I try to focus on something else, it takes 10 or 20 minutes to see properly.

Also, my eyes don't blink properly causeing dry eye. My eyes react by secreting thicker tears. This causes blurred vision.

Having said all this, I think it is important to point out that this is a symptom normally associated with the later stages of the disease. I have had ALS for over 9 years.

Mike

Mike Do Your Eyes Burn Like Fire At Times When You Tear A Little Fills Like Acid.

Hi janf,

I used to have a lot of burning eye pain. I finally realized that because I was not getting my face fully washed and rinsed like you would with a daily shower, oils and tiny pieces of dried tears were building up on and under my eyelids and eyelashes. Now we have a daily regimen that helps significantly (although not completely).

Every morning when I wake up, Jen wipes my eyelids with a warm, damp wash cloth, giving special attention to the inside and outside corners. She then puts a couple drops of no preservative, non-medicated, lubricating drops in my eyes. I gently blink a couple times and close my eyes for a few moments. This distributes the fluid and allows it to start dissolving any solids. I then open my eyes and blink normally, allowing the liquefied solids to migrate to the edges of my eyelids. I wait until I feel a dry crust around my eyes, then we repeat the process until I no longer feel any solids dried around my eyelids.

About once a week we carefully clean my lids and lashes with diluted baby shampoo on a Q-tip. I hope this helps. :-D

Mike

I've heard scopolomine patches used for secretions can cause blurred vision. Probably for the reasons Mike stated. (dry eye, thicker tears)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back