Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
I asked my doctor to order some blood tests before going on Lunasin. I was concerned about the high copper content and high iron content of the product. I also wanted to check my thyroid since I have Hashimoto's and thought I felt my TSH was low. I was very surprised at the results of the tests.

TSH 5.51H (.4-4.5) No surprise here, I was correct
Antibodies 103H (<9) No surprise here either with Hashimoto's

T3 Reverse 14 (8-25) Normal
T4, Free 1.2 (.8-1.8 ) normal
T3, Free 3 (2.3-4.2) normal
T3 Uptake 35 (22-35) high normal
T4 Total 6.4 (4.5-12) normal
Free T4 Index 2.2 (1.4-3.8 ) normal
Thyroglobulin antibodies <1 normal

Copper 113 (70-175) normal

Ferritin 10L (20-280) Big surprise here. I eat red meat and lots of spinach along with adequate amounts of Vitamin C (I don't take a C supplement but eat fruit high in C at every meal and lots of veggies, too) My diet is pretty rich in iron and I was suspecting a much higher Ferritin level than this.

Total Iron 70 (45-160)
TIBC 404 (250-450) high normal
% saturation 17 (11-50) low normal

Ceruloplasmin 27 (18-53) normal.

What I gather from this is my body is not absorbing iron and that might be from inflammation or other reason. I went gluten free a couple of years ago but, once in awhile, I cheat. I've had stomach issues for a long time. I don't think I have any internal bleeding as it would make my stool dark but there's a simple OTC test for that. Last I checked my liver was OK. My neurologist ordered these tests but I will take them to my GP. She specializes in nutrition. My feeling is that I need a CBC to check hemoglobin level and probably a comprehensive metabolic panel.

PS autoimmune diseases run on both sides of my family and both my nieces have Hashimoto's

Laurie, can you weigh in if you have a chance?

Last edited:
Hi, Kim, yes, it is common for all types of hypothyroidism to keep company w/ iron deficiency anemia and you are right that the next step is a CBC. Depending on the results, you may be advised to increase your folic acid and B-12, among other things.

I know my B-12 levels are very high. Mayo told me to stop taking B-12 but I did not. I think my folic acid was mid-to-low normal. My GP here likes her patients to have a higher folic acid level than I have and she treats all her MS patients with IM B-12. So I will go to her for the additional blood work. Thanks, Laurie. I also acknowledge that my free copper level is high and will ask her about that as well.

Hashimoto's has messed with me for the past 10 years. When Mayo did bloodwork my TSH was 1.2 (December 2014.) Before that it was 4.0. Now it's back up higher than ever.

Kim,

It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, but soy is not so great when you have an under active thyroid. The Lunasin has a lot of soy. Would be worth checking in to. I have hypothyroidism not Hashimotos. I don't know if there is a big difference. I've gone gluten free about a year and a half ago. It made a huge difference in how I feel. I've also not used any food products heavy in soy. I think read it on another forum about soy and the thyroid.

I've been gluten free for about two years and it helped my stomach a lot. I know the connection between soy and TSH but in Hashimoto's I'm not so sure either way. I'll remember to bring it up with my GP. Her specialty is nutrition and alternative treatment.

The evidence seems to be that unless you are iodine-deficient and the hypo is not controlled, this is not necessarily an interaction, but there is some research to suggest separating your hormone doses (?) from soy [and certain minerals] by 4h and/or that you might need higher doses. You would want a stable euthyroid baseline and frequent monitoring going forward if you are going to try the lunasin. And, of course, stable in terms of the anemia /iron deficiency thing.

All in all, your tests and Mary make a good point that in your case, the trial is a little more complex.

Good advice, Laurie. We should be taking up a collection for you. You've given me much more information than everyone in Clinic combined. I ordered "gentle iron" today and started taking the Zinc they recommend for Wilson's disease (Gluzin brand) @ 25mg to see if I can get my free copper down. I've tolerated the "gentle iron" before. Any others tore up my stomach.

Kim, are you eating gluten free because you have celiac disease? This also causes iron deficiency anemia. Unfortunately, if you have celiac disease you really can't cheat at all on the gluten free diet because even the smallest amount of ingested gluten causes inflammation of the small intestine resulting in malabsorption.

Sharon

Kim, are you eating gluten free because you have celiac disease? This also causes iron deficiency anemia. Unfortunately, if you have celiac disease you really can't cheat at all on the gluten free diet because even the smallest amount of ingested gluten causes inflammation of the small intestine resulting in malabsorption.

Sharon

No I don't have celiac disease (I was tested for it twice) but I do have a sensitivity to gluten. I was very surprised that my primary care at Mayo recommended going gluten free(I had been doing it off and on for years) because she told me to stop taking B-12 and probiotics. I don't do well with grains (except black or brown rice) in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back