MichaelG

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
11/2022
Country
AU
Hi everyone
My uncle was diagnosed with ALS last November and is recently experiencing episodes of sudden drop in his sodium/potassium levels. He also has a buildup of CO2 in his lungs which requires intubation. Just wondering if anyone has had such experience and the medication/solution they may have been given

thanks

Members who are more knowledgeable than me will respond. It would be helpful to know what Rx medications your uncle is using. And, is he eating by mouth, not peg tube.

With regard to co2 levels, how are they being measured. Has he seen a respiratory therapist or pulmonologist.

We appreciate your concern for your uncle. Members will try to assist.

Last edited:
Recurrent drops in sodium and potassium that resolve and recur? This wouldn’t be a primary ALS process Is he in ICU or at least an acute care hospital? I would think his doctors are the people to figure it out. . since he is obviously very ill there are several scenarios with different treatments. His doctors see the whole picture and are no doubt trying to work out what is best

I am sorry he is so sick

Sorry to hear, Michael. Especially if he's using a feeding tube, I would be looking to make sure his formula or blended diet isn't part of the problem. Dehydration and kidney disease (though these would be part of his labs) are other possible factors.

Not sure what you mean by "intubation" -- if he is breathing only through a tube in his throat, that can certainly affect metabolism but the settings should be adjusted accordingly.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back