Diagnosis
08/2022
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Livingston
Tom is on a blood pressure roller coaster. Over 220 then 150 then back up. Plus urinating every 30 mins. I have all my notes at home in a book.
We are at emergency room. They ran tests. No decisions. He is on 160 valsartan. Our pcp said with ALS you do lose ability to regulate BP. The tests did not discover reason for frequent urination. The BP issues and frequent urination started the same day.

Thinking about you and Tom and hoping that his blood pressure stabilizes. My thoughts are with you.

Hospital discharging from energency to home.

Neurogenic bladder is the term used for nerve damage that leads to loss of bladder control. ALS, Parkinson’s disease and stroke are common causes of neurogenic bladder. In a healthy urinary system several muscles and nerves work together to control urine. Damage or obstruction to any part of the system can lead to the involuntary release of urine or incontinence. The bladder may be:

Flaccid – Urine dribbles out as the bladder overflows. The bladder does not contract.

Spastic – The need to urinate feels urgent even when the bladder is not full. The bladder contracts involuntarily.

Mixed – Combination of flaccid and mixed syndromes

The blood pressure spikes are also due to ALS. In my laymans terms, the body loses its ability to monitor.

I do think it was smart to basically change nothing and send us home. They are putting us back in the care of our PCP. They did not put him on oxygen or change his meds. I will get him cozy at home and he can listen to his book.
And....now we have a better sense of what the emergency room will do (test) and not do (changes) with someone in late stage ALS.

Plus, BP frequently goes up if the bladder is full. Did they test with an ultrasound for how much urine may be "stuck?" Did anyone suggest you do self [well, CALS]-catheterization at regular intervals?

No. They did not suggest anything other than go home and see a nephrologist.
In 12 hours at home he urinated 12 times.
In the hospital he urinated 8 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back