01/2015
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Surrey
A blessed Advent to you all!

Advent is celebrated in Christian churches around the world and through the centuries as a time of spiritual preparation for Christmas. Advent comes from the Latin word, adventus, which means "coming." It begins four weeks before Christmas. Traditions are the Advent wreath with four candles, lit one by one on the Sundays prior to Christmas, and the Advent calendar.

Beautiful hymns have been written especially for Advent, the most common of which is O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, a somber, soulful expression of longing for the Messiah of Israel. For Christians, we share in the experience long ago of the coming Messiah, fulfilled in Jesus Christ. But we also share in the longing of the Second Coming of Christ.

One tradition my husband and I have during Advent is attending the performance of Handels Messiah. It is one of the masterpieces of all time, reaching deeply into the soul and drawing praise and adoration of the One who came in the manger, the One who suffered and died to redeem the world. I am frail now and becoming advanced in my disease, but my husband and I will go one last time.

As we prepare our homes for Christmas, let's prepare our hearts, too, so that Christmas may be a "drawing near" to the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ. How can we ever thank Him enough for coming and becoming one of us? May God bless us all!

- Charlene

Thank you for sharing your message about Advent Charlene. We lit our first candle at the dinner table on Sunday night, and memories of all the years of lighting it flashed through my mind. My sons used to fight over lighting it, and I had to mark their names on the calendar to keep the peace. Now this Christmas my younger son is no longer on this earth and my older son is lighting the wreath with his own children.

It is good to know that with all of the changes life brings to us...good and bad...God's love for us never changes. Who knows how many advents we'll go through in the future...for now, let's focus on this one and draw near to the Christ Child!
Audrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back