Bladder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take oxybutin. Doesn't cure it, just buys time to get to the bathroom. Info from MND Australia says MOST ppls bladder and bowels aren't affected. :(

The more I read the official statements about ALS, the more I think it's all fiction. No pain? I wish they could experience a day in my body.

Regarding pee and poop. I have more issues with constipation than loss of bowel control and that worries me. For now, I can battle it with pure psyllium mixed with water and lots of magnesium. Benefiber did nothing for me nor did any other laxative. Drinking lots of water and the psyllium made it great. No diarrhea, no constipation. Psyllium bulks up very quickly so it has to be chased with 8 ounces of water fast and that doesn't sound like a sustainable solution when I get swallowing issues and especially peg tube.

I'm surprised women didn't add to this thread. Is it a male issue (bladder control) that really does point to something other than ALS or possibly the male anatomy?

At least you boys have the option of condom catheters. That's a great option when you want to go somewhere and not have to worry about getting to the bathroom. I get up 2 or 3 times a night to pee because I'm a heavy water drinker, especially in the evening. If I were a man, I'd be tempted to just use the condom catheter and stay in bed!

Unfortunately, voluntary muscles include anything we can force or stop--bowels, bladder, eyelids...

Kim it's not a male thing, women PALS frequently wear diapers and end up with a catheter.

Kim, we girls get to be in the P and poop club toO. I fought wearing the depends for a long time, but it was actually a relief to have that protection. At first I attributed the problem to having two babies, but then it became evident that it was more than that. I think it is a spasm in the bladder causing much of the problem.

Now here is my poop tip of the day. I have them strap the gate belt snugly around my abdomen and use it in place of the muscles that are weakening in that area. It gives you something to push against, and sometimes requires someone coming in and adjusting the belt up or down.

Sorry we have to discuss this.

I i'mb on Vesicare for it and it works great. Added bonus is side effects include dry mouth so it helps with saliva

I use Vesicare too, and it does work great (except for the dry mouth - not fun).

I use coconut capsules - one in the morning and one at night - this helps a lot for any poop issues. If I forget, I'm in trouble.

Definitely not just males. I was 6 months into symptoms when it started , only 28 and no children .

I couldn't take any of the meds. Too many side effects. So in a couple weeks, I'm starting my first of 12 treatments of Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation. I'll keep you posted.

Deb

, I'm starting my first of 12 treatments of Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation.

That sounds like as much fun as an EMG,

I experience a feeling of urgency that makes me rush to the john, though so far have had only one case of leakage. Often the urgency is out of proportion to the amount of urine I need to void. Oddly it was one of the earliest symptoms I experienced, pre diagnosis. Describing it to the doctor at Monday's ALS clinic, she attributed it to spasticity in the bladder (as GregK said). Said there were drugs to help if it became a bigger problem, presumably the ones mentioned here.

Ed

Hi All,
my wife is also struggling with bladder control. It doesnt happen every day but at least once a week she pees herself while on the couch.
What she says is that she suddenly realize he must pee and she can`t hold it...and off it goes! We have implemented "preventives" checks, which means that during the afternoon we start asking "do u wanna pee? do u wanna pee? do u wanna pee?" :)

Saludos
Lucas

Greg, hopefully the reality is better then the concept. Astronaut diapers are the next undesirable alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back