Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MI
City
Battle Creek
Hello,

If this has already been fully addressed on another thread, could someone please point me to it? I tried using the search but didn't come up with anything definitive...

My dad has a bipap machine that he is very scared to use. He has difficulty swallowing and he also has a lot of excess saliva. He sleeps on his side in order to avoid choking on the saliva.

He's afraid that if he uses the bipap, the saliva will have nowhere to go and that it will either pool in the mask or in his mouth and end up choking him in the night. Has anyone had experience with this? Does saliva leak out the bipap mask? I thought it was supposed to form a seal....

Please help! When my dad doesn't sleep at night, neither does my mom, and they both really need some rest. :cry:

Kelley

Hi, Kelley ... I am just now trying to adjust to my bipap, and I have excess saliva, too. (I mean, REALLY excess ... it sounds like your dad's situation.)

Does your dad take anything for the saliva? There are several products that reduce the amount. I use a "Scop" patch behind my ear. Not everyone can use the Scop, as it has side effects, but it works for me. Ask your dad's neuro what would be appropriate for your dad.

In my few trials with the Bipap so far (with the full-face mask), I found that the machine blew the air into my mouth (I sleep with my mouth open because the muscles in my lips are weak) and my mouth was so dry within a few minutes that it was intolerable. If your dad sleeps with his mouth open, the Bipap should solve the problem, as it will dry the saliva.

Do you have a therapist who will work with your dad to make sure he's getting the proper fit? I think the vendor/therapist should work with your dad and answer all his questions. My neurologist told me to use mine in the daytime for short periods just to get used to it. Maybe that will help your dad, too ... he will be able to see exactly what happens with his saliva.

Your dad has all my sympathies ... it's hard to believe that something like saliva could make your life miserable, but it is really hard to deal with.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back