Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
I have a SystemOne BipapPro Biflex from Respironics. When I first got it they set the pressures to 4-8, then after a sleep study that was not done very well, they decided to change it to 8-12.
As I was feeling uncomfortable with these settings and I felt that some air was going into my stomach, I changed it back to 4-8. At the same time I was having problems with the mask, but those problems are solved for the moment. I have a masks that covers my nose and mouth.
At this point, I was thinking about increasing a little the pressure. I notice that the air going in and out is not that much, even if I try to take deeper breaths. My first though was to increase it to 6-10, but I wonder if I should not increase the difference between both pressures to promote more air going in and out.
The people that conducted the sleep study didn't even know that I had ALS when they were adjusting the pressure during the study. I wonder if people with ALS need different settings due to the weak respiratory muscles compared with the regular person with sleep apnea due to obstruction in the nose/throat.
Any opinions on this will be appreciated specially from Laurie.

If you happen to see this thread and don't have an opinion but you are using a BiPap, it would be interesting for me to know wich are the two pressures on your machine. I'll appreciate it.

Not sure why Lgelb hasn't answered you yet, but hopefully she will soon.
My PALS never used bipap so I can't help at all.

Hi, Alex,
If you want more air overall (i.e. at the peak of inspiration), increase the IPAP.

If you want a deeper breath, increase the PS (difference between IPAP and EPAP).

Most PALS unless they have pre-existing sleep apnea should be on the minimum EPAP.

If you have any data as to your sleep results (from your data card or the machine's data screen), I would be more helpful.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,
What you are saying makes sense and confirms my suspicion. During my sleep study while doing the "titration" they were increasing both IPAP and EPAP by the same amount therefore not increasing the difference. Leaving the EPAP fixed and increasing the IPAP makes more sense in this case.
I have some data from the BiPap card that I uploaded using a program (I can't remember the name now)
I'll have to see again how to recover that data.
On the other hand, I do have pulse oximeter data that I have recorded without using the BiPap. I don't know if that would help.
When I have some data available, how can I send it to you?
Thanks a lot for your help Laurie,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back