Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
Sc
City
Sumter
Does anyone have any suggestions for the bipap rubbing on the nose and forehead? She is wearing it mainly at night right now but finds she wants it on periodically throughout the day. When we take it off it is red, but goes away after a little while. I just want something to go ahead and put on it before it turns into something worse.

Hi Kelly,

Such a great coincidence, I was just getting some great advice from cris about the same topic. Go to my profile and you can see her great advice for Exuderm. My mom has a really big sore developing and skin breakdown all down the sides of her nose from the mask. Before cris's great advice, we tried aloe, liquid bandaid and other topical stuff - nothing really worked and some of it made mask really slippery on her face.

We switched to a mask with nose pillows in order to give her nose a break. The nose pillows work great, although sleeping in it is a bit tricky, but she is trying that. You need to make sure to get the right size for the nose pillows, exact insertion into the nostrils is key.

I also see on cpapXhange.com what they call total face masks that would be good only for sleeping, as the eye irritation would be tough during the day. Others may have tried that version.

Hi there,
My mom had this issue as well. She mainly used her bi-pap at night time and did develop pressure sores and bumps even. The use of transparent "second-skin" type bandages helped - I believe the brand name was Tegaderm (the web site shows a "Matrix" dressing which seems similar).
Although a little tricky to handle (it tends to stick to itself before you get it off the backing) it really gave Mom's skin a barrier from the mask so that it could heal. I hope this helps.
l
May tomorrow be a good day for you all.
Valerie

Hello everyone.
I'm going to change subject is little bit because I'm looking for some help. I experience tremendously dry mouth, literally sticks together at night time using my BiPap machine. I wake up at least twice, sometimes three times a night from this dryness. I have tried a gel which was suggested to me and this made no difference, my doctor advised me to use vasaline on my lips before I put the mask on but this made no difference also.
Does anyone have suggestions that has worked for them, or am I the only one that is getting the dry mouth. Thank you very much in anticipation.

I have a cup similar to hospital type with straw that I can stick under my mask to suck up a bit of water a few times during night. I make straws from clear plastic tubing from Home Depot.
In regards to sores, sounds like mask straps might be too tight.

AL.

I have the same problem with dry mouth, it wakes me up 8 to 10 times a night. My mouth dries out so much that the insides of my cheeks and lips adhere to my teeth and start to bleed sometimes. I put Vaseline on my lips before I put on the mask but it too dries out. I would welcome any suggestions. Oh, and I really can't swallow so drinking water will not work

Mom used "Oral Balance" that gave her some relief.

How long have you had your bipap? I think you can get a new mask every 3 months, or something like that. Maybe someone here knows. I have 3 mask. 1 nose, and 2 full mask

I do not see a mention of a humidifier. Do you have one ?

I have a full face, and love it. If I sleep with the pie hole open , my mouth will dry out.

Note to self: Keep my mouth shut.

Glen

Hello GlenThanks for your response. When I was fitted with the BiPap at John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle, there was no mention of using a humidifier. No I do not have one.

Glenn please excuse my ignorance, but what is a pie hole in the mask?

Garry Lee

Garry Lee, Glen has a special hole in his face below his nose that he puts pie into! This "special orfice" has also been known to a portal for the occasional wobbly pop. Think of it as a peg tube bypass.

Last edited:
A pie hole is slang for your mouth. Canadian eh?
I answered your other post about dry mouth as well

Al

*snicker* :twisted:

I also responded to your PM (message) about dry mouth and humidifiers.

Okay so you caught me outI fell for that one didnt I. Nothing like a good laugh to keep today going. Thanks guys for picking up my day.
In Australia, they are often referred to as cake holes, so I should've woken up. I don't mind the odd rum and Coke. So I can understand the wobbly legs.

Garry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back