Diagnosis
08/2012
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Glendale
Hello, i started on Bipap December 19. I researched masks before hand and got the Quatro Fx as everyone seemed to like it. It leaks like crazy. My face was measured and fitted w the FX by a respiratory therapist at Synbius Medical. I called them and they sent out very thin cotton liners, helped some but still leaked (into eyes & chin). i even purchased a contoued pillow specifically for cpap masks.

I have always been a side sleeper & know that doesnt help.

Can someone recommend a different mask i can try? I am both a mouth & nose breather.

Thanks, Barbara

i use the same mask and have not solved how to get it on with weak neck muscles except for trying a nasal pillow when i'm alone. The leaking i have solved, the gasket seperates from the hard shell. i put a rubber band on the edge of the gasket and loop it on the piece the hose connects to.this is a variation of something i read on cpap site. i also found that during the weekly cleaning rinsing it in very hot water revives it between changes of the silicon gasket. and finally i had my rt check and the headgear was too large even tho the same rt fitted it originally. i love the nasal pillows but i get too stuffed up when i sleep to wear it at night

Attachments

• IMG_1669-original.jpg
    IMG_1669-original.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,745
I wear the nasal mask in the day time and at night with my full face mask I use a chin strap and that has stopped my mask leaking

Thank you for the pic marypat, will give it a try as looks like an easy fix. Will also try the hot water.

Caldona do you use the same mask? I will check up on getting a chin strap. Does the chin strap attach to the standard headgear for the quatro fx or is is a totally separate piece? So far i only use it at night and during naps.

Sorry for all the questions. i was diagnosed 5 months ago (bulbar) things seem to be moving too fast. Thank you for your help & support.

The chin strap is separate can't remember were I bought it the one they brought me from Medical place we did not like it there was a hole cut out were your chin goes the one I bought is about 2'' wide it velcro on top of my head and I have a full face mask with chin guard on it I paid $100 for it off of internet because my chin was being pushed down by the one Medical was bringing me

I like the Hybrid mask. It has the nasal and also goes accross your mouth. Sometimes it leaks...I have about 10 differant and all of them have at times. What I like is the fact that I have nothing covering my nose or blocking my eyes. I bought it online for 117.00 and it comes with small, medium and large all in the package. You have to get a copy of your prescription and fax it to the company. When my insurance kicks in I am going to try the Liberty mask. It is more expensive and I want to make sure I get the right fit. I would use the swifter nasal mask during the day. Best of luck. sherry

I swapped to the ResMed Mirage Activa™. It has upper and lower straps and an adjustable piece above the bridge of the nose. The adjustment works to hold the mask out a bit for people with a long nose. Works fine. Rarely leaks but every few weeks I need to adjust the straps tighter until the straps finish stretching. Once that is done I don't have to adjust the straps anymore.

There are two brands of white liners (Quietus, remzzz) and you can also make your own. If you got partial success with one brand, might be worth it to try the other. One works well for Larry and the other does not. Also, keep in mind there are 3 major mask types: nasal, full face and total face. You can see pictures and videos on line.

I also use ResMed. They all come with medium straps.When I switched to a small set of straps my leakage problems almost totally disappeared. Also if it is leaking into your eyes tighten the bottom straps or check to make sure that the two sections are tight at the top of the triangle. Discovered the latter last night!

Thank you everyone, i tried to follow everyones advice to no avail. My RT came today and fitted me with the full face Quattro. She had a sample in my size with her and i was able to try it out. They also increaased my settings. I should get the new mask tomorrow as she didnt have a new one in the van. Barbara

If the Quattro doesn't work, you might consider the FitLife. Though it looks like a hockey mask from the aesthetic perspective, covering the entire face offers more surface area for the seal and protection for the nose bridge.

I have the fx as well and the pros said medium was a perfect fit but was leaky,and lots of pressure on my nose. I insisted on trying the large and it works great. Might want to try that.

I had the same issues and I've had a quattro fx for 2 years; I found its all about the technique of putting it on, needs to be wiped out everyday and rinsed in hot water and vinegar weekly, loosen all the straps daily about half way, when you put the face piece on you MUST angle it so the nose goes in first and swing the mask down over the mouth also hold it in place, clip the bottom straps in but tighten the top straps first, don't turn on your side for about half an hour while the suction creates a good seal.. Try it

I'd check out a sleep weaver mask. They are absolutely awesome. Comfortable to boot. You can get a chin strap to use with it if needed. I can sit in bed and read or watch TV with mine with no problem at all.

They are made with cloth, so there is really no plastic around the face to 'leak'. I love mine.

Thank you everyone. I now have the Mirage Quattro size small mask. it was better but now have a small headgear and using Remzzz liners. This set up is working much better. My insurance will provide me a new mask every 3 months so may experiment! I am a tummy/side sleeper & the cpap pillow works great on relieving pressure on the mask. Thank you all again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back