Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
I use my BiPap at night. I use the nose piece one, not full mask.

I've been getting headaches during the day. Had a bad one yesterday.

Somewhere I read in an old thread or somewhere that a BiPap will help
relieve headaches. Yesterday I was ready to try anything and I remembered
reading that. Well... it worked. Within just a minute or two it was going
away. Maybe for me... maybe for others. ?

Thanks, Al. Good reminder.

I posted a thread a couple months ago about headaches. I told my neurologist and he recommended BiPAP. That was also the suggestion of folks here.

In my case, BiPAP did not relieve the headaches. I had an evaluation with a pulmonologist which included an arterial blood gas. Mine showed no evidence of CO2 retention, and this was on a sample taken in the morning, after a night where I did not use the BiPAP. The pulmonologist did not feel my headaches were due to respiratory muscle weakness. I think they are from muscle tension and spasticity.

My point is that not all headaches in ALS are due to CO2 retention. But .... CO2 retention should be one of the first considerations and a trial of BiPAP is indicated.

I have stayed on the BiPAP to get used to it and reduce my work of breathing during the night, and this was also the recommendation of the pulmonologist.

I get a lot of tension headaches, too. All my ABG tests are normal (I've had three.) I usually don't wake up with headaches, despite not using the Trilogy (long story). Mine come on at the end of the day after too much computer use or playing cards for three hours.

Karen, What kind of mask to you use?

It’s a full face mask. Inspiratory pressure started at 4 which I tolerated, and is now at 8. Tidal volume 400. It’s a little hard for me to fairly assess the headache situation because I’ve been on the BiPAP about 4 weeks, and part of that time I was out of town and also had a cold for about 2 weeks.

Like it I wrote, it works for me. It may not work for others.

It may be unrelated and just coincidence.

I go back to clinic in two months... I'll go over it with my Neuro.

Maybe others can try it for what it's worth. :)

Last edited:
I think BiPAP should be the first line of therapy for otherwise unexplained headaches. If one is already on BiPAP, then they may need to use it more often, or change the settings if waking up with headaches. However, not all headaches are from CO2 retention.

Well... i posted it for what it's worth.

Won't do it again.

Should have Email'd my Neuro. Like so many others here should
do with their questions or thoughts.

We just had a Thread that went on for 3 pages covering Static Electricity.

Ok, onto another subject. Maybe Greg will thank that one.

Whatever...

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with posting your experience Al. It gives people something to try that might help. That is a good thing!

It is a good point, Al, that BiPAP's addressing CO2 retention can help headaches.

Even a slight change in the O2/CO2 ratio can have effects like headaches, confusion, dizziness and irritability. And fatigue. Just a reminder that if it doesn't work, the settings may need adjustment -- if you give up and take drugs, you may be letting the real problem worsen over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back