Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
PA
City
Zelienople
I got a BiPAP delivered last Thursday (Trilogy EVO), and am using it in the evening with a nasal cushion.

Periodically, it starts to make a sound like a steam engine chuffing along, and the little bar that shows the air flow pulses along with it and the air from the nose piece varies with it as well.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Thanks,

Most often that is due to the AVAPS rate being set too low, the PS max or target volume too high, and/or trigger and/or cycle settings that are out of synch with your own breathing. Basically, the machine is trying to do something that is out of whack for what you need.

Feel free to PM me your settings or let me know if you need help determining how to do that.

Best,
Laurie

How is your mask fitting? Are one of the straps loose? My husband's makes the same sound when the one of the straps is not tight enough.

Bill, If your Trilogy is anything like mine, your description reminds me of the sound as my machine is making the decision of making adjustments in response to your own breathing needs. It pulses for a number of times during my exhale and then adjusts down or up for more airflow or a more gentle flow as I fall asleep. It does this the more active I become, thus I try to calm myself and stop moving in order to not be bothered by its ramping up.

Or perhaps the sound is big air escapes from your mouth?

It does not have to pulse when you exhale, Cathy. The machine sends pulses of air when it thinks you aren't breathing fast/deep enough and is testing the airway.

If cycle sensitivity is on Auto Trak, where many techs set it, I would move to manual settings -- change Auto Trak to Flow Trigger, then set Trigger Sensitivity (start at 5, range is 1-9, adjust to how easy triggering breaths should be) and Cycle Sensitivity (range is 10-90%, start at 30%, if you still get pulsing on exhale, adjust it).

You should be able to bridge your natural rhythm and avoiding pulsing, by adjusting the trigger to comfort and then adjusting cycle sensitivity.

If it feels like you're being rushed when you breathe in, you can decrease AVAPS rate, and conversely, if you want more air more quickly, you can increase it.

If you want more or less air overall, within a single breath, that is when you adjust the target volume -- the biggest single source of unhappiness/harm you can find with BiPAP.

Thank you, Laurie. :)

Cathy, "Or perhaps the sound is big air escapes from your mouth?" LOL I don't know if that was a shot but it made me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back