Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
Roseville
Turns out my husband didn't receive the AVAPS machine he as supposed to. He has a BiPap which seems to be fine, but his neuro really wants him to have the other. So, we are waiting for a call from the sleep clinic.

Any of you have experience with an AVAP over a BiPap? Are they pretty much the same thing? I did what all good librarians do and researched it, but don't see any practical information from patients and caregivers. Just the industry mumbo-jumbo.

Just worried about rocking the boat that right now is in pretty calm water.
Love and light
Meg

Meg I am pretty sure Diane --user name rose --has the AVAP and had lots of good rationale why it is better. PM her and ask.

I am a doofus. I did a search for AVAP on this forum and got lots of info. Sorry! Even one of the threads was started by yours truly. (hanging head in shame) For the record, I am sleep deprived though! :)

Rose has the most recent threads or posts on AVAPs that I could find.
Please squeeze in a nap for yourself today!

The same thing happened to me! They are NOT the same! I couldn't believe the difference in the machines once I had experienced both.

The BiPap S/T LOOKS the same, but doesn't say AVAPS on it. It operates on just one set inspiratory pressure and one set expiratory pressure, either timed or spontaneous or a combo of both, which is good, but not great.

The AVAPS is a whole other beast. It has a RANGE for inspiratory and expiratory pressures, and starts off at the lowest numbers. As your breathing gets weaker when you sleep, the machine slowly increases those pressures to keep you breathing at an optimal "tidal flow." The times that I wake up suddenly from a deep sleep (kid crying, dog barking, train whistle, etc), I realize just how hard it's working while I'm sleeping! The times I've glanced over in time to see the pressure number, it's been on 20, which is my max (my min is 10), so that is a big difference!

The AVAPS is prefered by neuros in neuromuscular disease because it adjusts to changes in breathing, rather than you having to constantly have someone come out and adjust it. It's worth getting it changed!

Hope that was in plain enough English. The info on their w e b s i t e IS a lot of goobledygook!

~ Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back