02/2017
Country
US
State
CT
City
suburb
Hi all,

My husband started using a bipap during the night. He is experiencing a lot of anxiety to the point of feeling panic. He said that he thinks about waking me numerous times during the night and even if he did I would only be able to reassure him. He feels claustrophobic and worries about his breathing. He doesn't want to use the nose mask and thinks some of his problems with his breathing has to do with his anxiety/panic.

I was wondering if anyone's PAL used some kind of anti-anxiety medication during the night. Is is safe to use with compromised breathing?

Thanks,
Tammy

It is best to avoid sedating drugs if you can because they do depress breathing.

If he just started it, I would reverse things and have him use it during the day, when you are with him, in small intervals. Watching TV, reading, etc.

There are many types of masks so when he's more calm, he may find a better one.

If he is not falling asleep deeply enough, it could be settings that can be adjusted but it sounds like he needs some "desensitization" first. Also running a fan nearby, making sure he's cool enough, and adjusting the angle of his bed when he does use it at night may help.

Let us know how it goes.

Best,
Laurie

My brother has anxiety and panic attacks as well as being claustrophobic. He takes 1 Lorazapam at bedtime and that seems to help for a little while as it only lasts for a couple hours, but it does calm him enough to get somewhat comfortable. His concern was not being able to wake his wife if he was in distress so we got an enabling device called the twitch switch that is taped to his forehead. We got it from the ALSA loan pool. All he has to do is raise his eyebrow to activate a pager that his wife has next to her bed. It seems to lessen his anxiety.

That being said there are other issues that wake him up, in turn his wife gets up and then I get the call to go over to fix the problem. One of which is if the bi-pap mask isn't adjusted just right he gets air leaks when laying down or if the pillows under his arms, head or legs are not just right, or the twitch switch goes off because of an adjustment or sensitivity setting.

I really hope your husband can get over his anxiety, and I pray you both can get some rest.

All the best,
Jon

Thanks Laurie and Jon.

We got a new mask today. Thank goodness for 1 day shipping. The mask that he had was tearing up his nose even with a bandaid on and we only used it for a few days. We did adjust it a lot but it didn’t help.

The new one rests under his nose and over his mouth. Since it’s lower on his face he said it is less claustrophobic. We’ll see how the night goes. I feel pretty confident that the DME provider doesn’t supply this mask. If all goes well tonight we’ll call tomorrow, but even if they don’t we’ll stay with this one if he likes it.

I’m really excited to hear about the twitch switch. Right now we use a pager that has a button for him to press, but I was really worried about what I would do when he can’t press the button anymore.

Tammy

Just as a general note, if someone can move even one muscle reliably, there is usually an ability switch that can be taped to or otherwise work with it. And switches can help accomplish many tasks, not just calls for help.

For computer, phone and tablet access, alternative mice (tongue, chin, feet, etc.) or an ability switch can be used with switch interfaces, so eye gaze may not be the only option when hands no longer work.

when I started bipap I had to use Marijuana to relax and not panic,. Now I am late stage and use Ativan and mmj and I sleep extremely well!! gg

My husband was panicky because he wanted to be able to alert me. The als assoc loaned us a device that clipped on next to his head and could be triggered by head movement. It was the only part of his body he could move. It worked very well for us.

Joan

Thanks everyone.

So far the new mask is working out better. His nose is healing and he doesn't feel as closed in as he did with the other one. Since it sits under the nose in addition to over the mouth it needs a little more adjusting, but it's ok. It turns out the Trilogy provider could provide the mask which is nice too.

His doctor prescribed Ativan which he hasn't taken yet. I think just knowing that he could have it has helped. Also, the machine needs to be adjusted since it does an annoying cyclical rattling of the hose. They are coming on Wednesday to fix it. He might be able to sleep better if he didn't have that bothering him.

Right now he has a button to push to call me if he needs me. It's good to know there are options for when he can no longer press the button.

Hi Tammy. I’m glad that new mask is working better for your husband. My mask also sits under my nose (there is a slit that fits under the nostrils). I have to adjust it frequently. I take Ativan every couple weeks or so. Works like a charm. I take 1/2 of a 1 mg tab and put it under my tongue where it dissolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back