06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Moved post from Visitor Messages- on behalf of billybob:

Hello! At my last visit to the SLP therapist, my MEP average was 58. Discussion followed regarding a PEG and ventilator. After sharing with her I wanted to try everything else to forestall those devices, she gave me a gizmo called EMST150. It's an "Expiratory Muscle Strength Trainer. Has anyone else had experience with this device? If so, did it help improve your Maximum Expiratory Pressure (MEP)?

Last edited:
Fiona,

I bought an inspiratory muscle trainer because there was a study that showed it helped. I can't find the study and couldn't find any study where expiratory training worked. One thing I did was use my cough assist in reverse to expand my lungs. My total lung capacity was only around 60% three years ago. I don't know what it is now but I do know that using the cough assist to blow air into my lungs seemed to help.

I got so sick of people testing my FVC, MEP, and MIP that I bought a device that measures it. My MIP and SNIP are both very high and my MEP is about normal. I still have deficient lung capacity but my FVC seems to be holding pretty steady since last year.

I'll keep searching for that study.

I think it is a small study (25 people) by Emily Plowman in Florida. I have seen it but can’t find it now either. She did do a NEALS webinar around that time and may have discussed it. The webinar would be archived on The NEALS Consortium website if anyone has time to listen

It was also discussed on ALSTDI forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back