Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IT
State
IT
Hi, I’m a 29 years old from Italy.
First of all, thank you for what you do in this forum.

Starting from December i lost weight and muscle tone, especially on the right side.

From January/February I began to feel unmotivated tiredness in my arms.
For example I couldn’t hold my phone in vertical position for more than 30 seconds/1 minute while lying on the bed. I always held it even for hours. I lost strength in pulling or carrying things.

From March my right hand fingers swelled up and I lost a very good percentage of movement on my hand; I’m slowing down in moving my fingers and I can’t fold them properly as I used to. I mean I still can fully fold them, but I lost a part of the movement in the middle of them, like they are strained forward.
Right now I feel even my left hand is slowing down by a little bit.

In the last days I had the symptoms that concerns me the most.
When i open my mouth fully wide I feel my face muscles are pulling (especially on the cheek) and I can’t open it as much as I used to. Same feeling when I push my lips forward (like I’m gonna say “uuuh”). My “inside lips” feel stuck to the gum in the upper side.
The global sensation is my face and the inside of my mouth are always like anestetizhed.
I’m struggling pushing my voice out loud and I began feeling a little “click” while swallowing saliva. I feel all the mechanic movement while it goes down and I have to push a little bit. Paradoxically I’m feeling it less while drinking and I don’t have any problem swallowing food.
I’m experiencing a slowdown in finding the right words while talking.
I started coughing almost all day long and from 4-5 days I’m having a continue rasps in my throat. I used to imitate some voice and now I’m not capable of doing that anymore.
I also started feeling the need to “mechanically” breathe, from my nose, in many moment of the day. Shortness of breath after a very little run and heavy legs while doing it.
Struggling a bit with the “r” and the “t” while talking, but it’s strong if a try to say “rrrrrr”.
I feel like my chest is a little bit occluded inside.
Never smoked.

So I checked my soft palate and I saw my uvula is hiding while opening my mouth naturally. With my tongue out I can see a half of it. My tongue full out as a little “V” shape at the end and it goes almost imperceptibly to the left.
I went to an otolaryngology who said my soft palate is in the right position and is in good health, it goes all the way up when I say “Aah”.

I experienced some occasionally tingling in my right hand and in my legs/feet.
Sometimes I feel the need to shake my arms in order to feel them a little lighter. It happens with my right leg too.
Another particular aspect is I always could autoinduce me leg cramps if pushing the calf back. Now I can’t to that anymore, like those muscles are atrophying.
Can’t stand more than 5/10 seconds on one leg with my eyes closed.
From December I had some moment of blurred vision, especially looking in the distance. A little bit slower when I move the view focus from close to far.

I also have to say it’s 2/3 months I always wake up 1/1.30 hours before my usual wake up time and I’m not feeling a fully restoring sleep, but this started at the same time of the symptoms. I had a very stressful period but, again, if all of this would be related to stress only I think I didn’t have all these syntomps at the same time, especially the face/mouth and breathing ones.

On Monday I have my neurologist visit and I already booked an EMG for Tuesday.

I have big concerns guys, it’s the full packet of symptoms which scares me a lot.
Thank you in advance for your replies.

Hi, post back when you have some results, your symptoms are very vague, even the full packet. Nothing can be said here that would be more informative than a neuro exam and test results.

Have a good read here as it should help you in the meantime.

Thanks for your reply.
I already read all the thread and that’s why I thought to do this post.

I forgot to add that I’m also having cracked lips and in these days I dropped some item from my hands, not accidentally but I physically felt I lost the grip from them.

Niki, As affected posted to you...

"Nothing can be said here that would be more informative than a neuro
exam and test results."

Then you post....

"I already read all the thread and that’s why I thought to do this post."

REALLY?

Then...

"I forgot to add that I’m also having cracked lips and in these days."

Cracked lips have nothing to do with ALS. Absolutely NOTHING!

Are you serious.... or just having fun?

You're another who seems to be so fortunate... getting a Neuro a
appointment on Monday then an EMG on Tuesday.

So may wait weeks between initial Neuro appointment then an
EMG. So much has to be physical observation and testing to be
done first.

What if the Neuro he/she says an EMG is not needed. and you
need to address severe Health Anxiety?

Last edited:
I would suggest, with the greatest of respect that you go read that post very slowly again.
Then go see your doctor.
And don't post here, you don't have ALS symptoms and we are truly glad for you.
No more adding things you forgot will change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back