02/2012
Country
US
State
MA
City
Winchester
Hey all!

Has anyone figured out a bidet toilet seat that can work together with a shower/commode chair. Many have controls on the side but some are remote. The electronics are at the back making it difficult to roll the shower commode chair over it. So If anyone has figured out the right combination of bidet, shower/commode chair and right model toilet .... Please post so we can learn from your solution.

Wilk

We used a Toto Washette bidet with remote controls, and I made a commode/shower chair that was dimensioned to fit closely over the seat so that the spray hit in the right spots. Indeed, the spray worked fine. But I made it a little too close because the "sit bones" projected slightly below the chair seat, which caused them to be bumped slightly each time the chair was maneuvered into place. That was tolerable for a while, but after repeated bumps it got sore. How far the sit bones project below is a function of the size and shape of the hole in the seat. I duplicated the hole in the bidet seat, but it would have been better to make it smaller to minimize the distance that the sit bones project below it . The proper size of the hole is going to depend upon who's sitting on it, since each body is different. There's a balancing act of getting close enough to the bidet seat for it to work properly, but not getting it too close to cause contact with it.

We had a commode/shower chair from the als loan closet, but it was not configured to be rolled over a toilet, which is why I made one.

As she got weaker, it became better to just place her on the toilet with the hoyer type lift using a leg sling. We then used the loan closet shower chair just for showering.

Attached are some photos of the chair that I made if it gives you any ideas.

Attachments

• 100_0064.jpg
    100_0064.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 2,152
  • 100_0065.jpg
    100_0065.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 1,587
  • 100_0066.jpg
    100_0066.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 767
Thanks very much Phil

I am 6'2". We have to replace our shower chair and are checking the loan closets now. Very impressive and simple design - I have a brother in law who is very good at making things and will show your design to him.

Will K

We installed a TOTO Washlet and purchased a Etac shower chair. We had to get the adjustable shower chair because the toilet is ADA height, so the regular Etac shower chair wouldn't clear the top.

thanks so much for this reply. I knew there was someone else who had figured this out . And we did not know about the Etac chair.

With gratitude

Wilk

Now that we are moving and really getting down to this I hope I can ask you a few more questions rosec. Which model of the Toto washlet did you use? And was the direction and pressure of the water stream ok given you were not right on the seat? And lastly did you take the lid off the washlet?

Details details!

Thanks

wilk

Wilk, sorry I did not see your questions earlier.
We got the TOTO S300 Washlet. We did not have to take the top/lid off :)
Since the pressure is adjustable, there is no problem getting the water to reach. I think the thingamagig has an optical sensor that enables the Washlet, so it doesn't matter that you are not directly sitting on the seat. And the Etac shower chair has a gap in the back so even if you just park the chair over the toilet it still wont activate the washlet.
Send me a pm if you want more info.

We have a ceiling lift system in the bathroom, and Tim is able to sit directly on the bidet while in his sling. After he does his business and has washed, he is raised and we dry his bottom with toilet tissue. Yes there is a dryer but it takes longer than he likes. Also we can make sure he is really clean. I also use the lift with an under the knee sling, to lift his bottom, while his chair is laid back, to lift his bottom so his pants can be pulled back up. He actually likes this as he gets a bit of traction on his back, which relieves some of his SI back soreness. He only uses his commode shower chair in the shower. Our track also runs to the bath tub, so he can have a soak if he likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back