Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Mableton
Today I talked with the nurse at the ALS clinic and she is going to set me up to get a Bi-Pap to use at night. I'm not sure I need it right now but at my support group meeting they said the sooner the better. I would like opinions on the different mask, I have heard they had 3 and to make sure I got at least 2 incase of one leaving marks on my nose or hurting it. She said it might take a while to get use to. Please share your experiences. Thanks in advance for your help. Rhonda

Hi Rhonda. I use a ResMed Ultra Mirage ll mask. It comes in different sizes for different faces. There are more than 3 kinds of masks but maybe they were talking about the 3 types of ways that you can use Bipap. One is nose pillows or just a nasal mask. These need to be used with a chin strap to keep your mouth closed so air doesn't blow out it. The other is the full face mask. There are other manufacturers of masks that may be better but the hospital I got mine from used these and 1 other and this fit my face best. Here is a link with pictures so you'll have an idea of what they look like.
http://resmed.com/portal/site/ResMe...c070a72010VgnVCMServerc60210ac____&vgnReset=1
It does take a bit of getting used to but some people have no trouble at all. I used to dive so was used to things on my face. Try using it in the day and just relax and lie down and get used to it before trying to sleep with it. You might just surprise yourself and fall aleep with it on the first time. Let me know how you make out. AL.

Hi Rhonda,

Everyone is different, but I got the best seal with nose pillows. I used KY Jelly as a gasket between my nose and the pillows. (spermicide not necessary):-D This not only makes a better seal, it reduces friction between the nostrils and the rubber nose pillows.

Mike

Hi Mike. Another quick question. I've been thinking about nose pillows because after 2 years on the mask I am getting some facial irritation and was wondering about nasal congestion. I do get a bit of allergies at different times of the year. Thanks. AL.

Hi Al,

I have allergies also, but for some reason, the positive pressure always kept my sinuses open. As a bonus, during the 2 years I was on 24/7 Bi-Pap I had no allergies. I think this is because I was breathing through a filter. This lack of allergies continues with the vent.

Mike

Did you use a humidifier or is the California air damp enough?

AL.

Hi Al,

I never needed one with the Bi-Pap, but I use an in-line HME (heat moisture exchanger) with the vent.

Mike

Hey Al,

I got the bi-pap and I went with a mask and nose pillows. They had to order the nose pillows because my husband told them I had a medium nose and I had to get the petite
nose pillows. It tells me how much my hubby notices about my face (haha). Anyway it's taking some time to get use to. I feel like I might not be doing it right, you know as soon as the rep. leaves you have a hundred questions. I don't use a strap to hold my mouth shut because I breathe through my nose. I also have a humidifier with mine to keep me from drying out. But I'm sure it won't take long and I will be fine with it.
Rhonda

Hi Rhonda, I have a Bi pap and have been using it about 4 months, I have the one that just fits in the nostrils. I absolouly hated it at first & didn't think I needed it. I like to read myself to sleep & couldn't do it with that thing, but I solved that by reading until sleepy, then put it on. but the amazing thing is I had so much more energy the next day, now I don't even notice it, It does make my nose sore some times, & thought I might like another kind but I do drool at night & it wasn't to practicle. it does take a little getting used to. The extra energy is well worth it, EM

Hey Mike that is a good tip ( the KYjelly ) Thanks my nose does get sore sometimes. do you use a chin strap? I don't. EM

Hi Edna May,

Although I have not used Bi-Pap for a couple years (I am on a vent now), I never really needed a chin strap. At the time, my mouth stayed closed when I slept.

Mike

chin strap

i use bipap ad uSE A HEADBAND AS A CHIN STRAP
VERY COMFY AND SOFT
EASY ON AND OFF
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND OVER THOSE CONVOLUTED CONTRAPTIOMS.............

?

When do you usually need to start using a bi pap machine? is there a specific breathing level when you need to use it? eg. 50%? I know my friend has had a recent breathing test and she wasn't down to 50% yet.

Thanks Barb

ps, I laughed at your spermicide joke Quadbliss. ha ha

Barbie4 said:
When do you usually need to start using a bi pap machine? is there a specific breathing level when you need to use it? eg. 50%? I know my friend has had a recent breathing test and she wasn't down to 50% yet.

Thanks Barb

ps, I laughed at your spermicide joke Quadbliss. ha ha

Barb,

The ALS experts say that BiPAP should be started at 70% of predicted FVC.

Conrad

Barb, Has your friend also had a blood test for oxygen and carbon dioxide levels? These can also indicate a need for bi-pap, even if the pulmonary function test does not appear to be low enough. It is my belief that the medical community waits too long to prescribe this breathing assistance because of insurance company rules. This seems backwards to me, so I think it is worth all avenues to determine qualification for the bi-pap. The blood for these test needs to be taken from an artery not a vein so it can be uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back