Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
virginia
City
roanoke
My mom has been on a Bi-Pap machine now for about a year. She uses the Bi-pap about 95% of the day now and her pressure setting is set at 4.0. The last couple of days her breathing seems to be more labored and she keeps asking if the bi-pap is on. My question is, can the settings be adjusted from 4.0 to a greater level to make her more comfortable? She gets obsessed over things quite a bit due to her FTD so it is very hard to understand what might be truly making her uncomfortable. Any hep or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would call her Dr or her respiratory therapist, tell them what is going on and they can advise you as to what you need to do to help her.

Definitely talk to her respiratory therapist and doctor. She might be more frustrated than usual because she isn't getting enough air. Sorry you're all going through this.

Thanks. I have an email in to the clinic. She seems extremely frustrated and agitated lately. Much more than normal and since we have such a hard time understanding her needs anymore I was wondering if this indeed might be a sign that she is not getting enough air and if the pressure set at 4.0 was low/high? She gets obssesed over things and will not stop for days at a time so it's tough to really know when to ask the doctor and when not.

My mom has been on a Bi-Pap machine now for about a year. She uses the Bi-pap about 95% of the day now and her pressure setting is set at 4.0. The last couple of days her breathing seems to be more labored and she keeps asking if the bi-pap is on. My question is, can the settings be adjusted from 4.0 to a greater level to make her more comfortable? She gets obsessed over things quite a bit due to her FTD so it is very hard to understand what might be truly making her uncomfortable. Any hep or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with everyone else. When you make the appointment ask if you should bring the BiPAP machine with you so that they can make the adjustments and test them with your mother. Basically a BiPAP machine produces positive pressure during the inhalation stage of breathing, if the BiPAP is not set properly, then your mother will either receive too much positive pressure or not enough. From the sound of things, she's not getting enough. Usually settings need to be adjusted as time goes by and your mother's breathing changes. My mother started with IPAP set at 6 and BiPAP set at 4 (positive pressure of 2) with a rise time of 3 (comfort level) and after 6 months, her settings were IPAP: 10 and BiPAP: 4 (positive pressure of 6). If you know how to adjust the settings yourself you can try adjusting the settings a little at a time with input from your mother until your find a comfortable pressure differential that works for her, but I would still suggest having a respiratory therapist make the adjustments for you.

My IPAP or inhalation pressure is 20. My EPAP or exhalation pressure is 10. Respirations are 18 per minute. I don't think you should be messing with the machine yourself. The RT should do it.

AL.

I totally agree with AL that the respiratory person should be changing any settings. Also, and allow me to say this with a caveat because normally I would not be pushing this kind of intervention. Three years ago I probably would not have said this. HOWEVER, having lived with an ALS patient now, I have some understanding how agitation can increase respiratory discomfort. I asked (and the neurologist at clinic) prescribed a very small dose of an antidepressant. It has made my husband less agitated, less prone to sudden bursts of anger, etc. He is NOT in a zombie state but was given a little something to take the "edge" off. Consequently, still using the BIPAP and the cough assist machine he has experienced less respiratory issues. I hope you find this helpful. BUT, PLEASE : I urge you.... allow the experts to "fine tune" the BIPAP machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
cperdue, that is something that warrants a call to the RT. If she isn't getting what she needs, and its at the point she questions if its running, then the setting should be changed ASAP. I hope you're able to make her comfortable again.

Thanks to all for the great feed back. I'm waiting for the RT from the ALS clinic to contact the Bi pap vendor with the new settings. I agree. No way I'm adjusting those settings. She is still extremely agitated so hopefully the up in pressure setting will make her more comfortable. God bless.

The company that gave me the Bipap they send out a respiratory therapist who adjusts my bipap after he has checked with my doctor.
Your mom definitely needs more air. I went through this last month. I felt like I wasnt getting enough air so my doc upped the numbers to 12
and now I feel fine.

Okay, so the ALS clinic got back with me and put in orders with her BiPap vendor to come to the house and increase her pressure settings. They said she was on the low end of the settings and these most likely needed to be increased. Great, right? I also expressed concern that she was too weak to cough anymore and was gagging on all the "gunk" in her throat, etc. and was worried about the possibility of aspiration. They sent in an order to have a cough assist machine sent out. Great again, right? Well, the RT came yesterday to deliver and set up the cough assist but did not have orders for a suction machine. Since she cannot "spit" on her own all I am doing with the cough assist is bringing the "gunk" up into her throat/mouth and increasing the possiblity of it going back into her lungs. Now since everyone is closed, due to the holiday, I will have to wait until next Tuesday to even get the orders to have the suction machine brought back out.

Now, I am no doctor and definitely do not specialize in ALS, but don't these two machines go hand in hand with each other? We were at the clinic less than three weeks ago and they were fully aware that she was having these issues and in my opinion should have placed orders to have both of these devices sent out. It seems as though I have to make all of the recomendations to the doctor's, medical equipment vendors, insurance companies, etc. I have to ride everyone to get anything done or delivered and actually got into an argument with the BiPap vendor yesterday because he seemed "put out" because he had drive out of his way to adjust her settings since it was so close to his long holiday weekend. Very sorry to inconveince him! Does anyone else have these problems?

Frustrating, Frustrating. Frustrating!

your mom is ln a very
low setting Most people start at 8 and thats low. You need to get your RT to help her .If she is in much distress take her and her bipap to the hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back