11/2010
Country
CA
State
On
City
Perth, Ontario
Hi everyone,

My dad has ALS and we are trying to find out all the items we need to be saving money for. I have found a used porch lift for $650 that we are picking up this weekend but it led me to wondering.

Dad had sleep apnia before he lost all the weight due to the ALS and was on a c-pap machine to sleep, he still uses it to sleep and the doctor can adjust the volocity and oxygen satureation. Is this the same as a bi-pap or do we need to start saving for one of those?

I am a little confused about the subject, does anyone know the diference?

I see you are located in Ontario. If your father requires a bi-pap it is covered under the Ontario health coverage. I received mine within 4 weeks of submitting the application. It is part of the ADP program I think.

You will want a bi - pap because it not only assists in pushing air in it will also assist in air out which is important because if his lungs are not strong enough to do it on their own then his CO2 levels will rise which is obviously dangerous. Good luck.

C-Pap stands for constant positive airway pressure and Bi-Pap stands for bi-level positive airway pressure. With ALS you want reduced pressure for exhaling so you want a Bi-Pap. The constant pressure supplied by a C-Pap is hard for weakened diaphram muscles to work against when we breathe out.

Very good explanation Barry!

Thanks, this clears up a lot!

HI

You will also find through the local ALS association that they may be able to assist with equipment--don't buy what might be provided for you via their assistance.

The equipment needed can get very expensive. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back